Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 11:03:57 AM EDT
Anyone already have one? Looking for any and all comments!
I'm looking to buy one for a mil-spec AR build but would like some insight on the quality of the product.
http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/ar15-polymer-80-lowers-72dpi-650x433.jpg
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
From my understanding these are still under the control of the ATF until it makes it's way through the courts, personally I would not want one until the case with the ATF is resolved.

Also not a big fan of polymer unless it's going to be a dedicated 22LR
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The 80 % polymer lowers that are currently being sold by Ares Armor are not the same ones that were originally in question by the ATF.

To the OP asking about them, I was at Ares over the weekend and was looking at the same lower with the jig that you have pictured that
they had on display on the counter, they seemed to be pretty nice and for the price and how easy it is to finish the product with the end
result of having a unserialized lower is a pretty good deal.

Personally I wouldn't use a polymer lower for any real serious work outside a weekend plinker or for a dedicated .22 build, but that is just imo.

Ares is mostly just a bunch of retired / former Marines that opened up shop outside Camp Pendleton CA, they're good people from my experience
and currently being active duty they've hooked me up quite a few times by discounting already on sale items. I'm a satisfied customer and I know
that they get a lot of business in there selling those lowers as well as the other options they have, I personally haven't met a butthurt customer yet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone already have one? Looking for any and all comments!
I'm looking to buy one for a mil-spec AR build but would like some insight on the quality of the product.
http://aresarmor.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/ar15-polymer-80-lowers-72dpi-650x433.jpg
View Quote

Er, just so you know, mil-spec AR lowers are of forged 7075 aluminum.  Nothing wrong w/ a plastic AR lower, so long as you understand even aluminum AR lowers historically break in the buffer tube attachment/rear take down pin area, and you're using plastic.  But it's a good learning experience before you start buying 80% aluminum lowers and milling them out.  Or welding these:  http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 80 % polymer lowers that are currently being sold by Ares Armor are not the same ones that were originally in question by the ATF.
View Quote

They don't look the same...true...

BUT...does Ares Armor or the mfg that is making them have a "DETERMINATION LETTER" for these lowers?

That should be the question everyone is asking about any 80% lowers on the market right now, especially from this company.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a little bit of researching and found that the 80 % polymer lowers Ares is currently offering are from P80 Tactical (Polymer 80).
The old polymer 80's they were offering were from EP armory, those were the lowers that were in question earlier this year.

As for P80 holding any determination letters I can't find any on their website.
I'm assuming if you were that set on a polymer 80% you could try contacting them to see if they had any holy federal scripture but...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top