Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 1:01:15 PM EDT
So I'm trying to decide on a buffer tube, spring and buffer my local gun shop has a ATI kit mot to sure about it. They also have the vltor tubes for $49 (no hardware ). Then while searching I've come across v7 weapon systems. And lm liking their stuff tube comes with spring. And I can get the lock nut and plate from them too. Would just need to figure out a buffer to run. Any input on any quality products please let me know thanks for all the help

http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/v7-carbine-buffer-tube
http://www.vltor.com/product/re-1-ar-15/
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
These work fine, no complainants.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/individual-parts/psa-complete-5-position-mil-spec-diameter-buffer-tube-assembly.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Aim Surplus has both Spikes and BCM with free shipping. Either would be a solid choice.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I'm running a mid length barrel what buffer works the best I've seen all diff weights. Will a standard m4 be fine for this set up. Looking to get a aim bcg
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It is hard to say which buffer weight, until you try it.

I would start with the standard carbine and only change if I thought the gun was over gassed after shooting for awhile with different loads.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of ARs are set up to run with and sold with H or H2 buffers. I work the other way around, I will try a H3 first(or the heaviest I think with work for that particular upper) and work down from there.  I don't shoot weak powered ammo so this approach works for me. I have a Vltor receiver extension and buffer and spring  in the EE if you're looking to save a few dollars.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So if I'm running a mid length barrel what buffer works the best I've seen all diff weights. Will a standard m4 be fine for this set up. Looking to get a aim bcg
View Quote

I would definitely start with a standard buffer for a midlength.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure if you have already built the upper, but another approach (poss. better) is to just use the standard buffer and use an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
could also get a stranded buffer and a h3 buffer and just swap weights if you need to lighten or weigh it down.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
No I haven't built the upper yet still need to get a gas block, gas tube and flash hider, bcg .Only thing left on the lower is stock and receiver tube assembly
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
While most upper will work with a standard carbine buffer, most will also work with an h or h2. For the sake of your gun not beating itself up more than needed, I've found its best to use the heaviest buffer that your rifle will reliably function with. I personal am a big proponent of the vltor a5 buffer system. Not the cheapest setup around, but it is the best. I also run lots of products from v7 and it's all top notch. If you don't have plans to build an ultra lightweight rifle, tho, a lot of their product line would be pointless. Their standard 7075 receiver ext is every bit as good as a vltor, bcm, ect I'm sure.

If you got the funds I would say the vltor a5 system is best, in regards to a regular carbine tube just get a standard 7075 tube from a well regarded name and an h buffer and it will most certainly function fine. Once you shoot your rifle a bit you can start tinkering with buffer weights and such.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I recommend BCMs receiver extension kit. It's made from 7075T6 aluminum which is important to me. The kit comes with everything you need to mount up the stock and you can choose which buffer weight you want as well.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Stock-Hardware-Mounting-Kit-Mil-Spec-p/stock%20hardware%20kit.htm
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
So far I have not needed anything lighter than a H2.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:55:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While most upper will work with a standard carbine buffer, most will also work with an h or h2. For the sake of your gun not beating itself up more than needed, I've found its best to use the heaviest buffer that your rifle will reliably function with. I personal am a big proponent of the vltor a5 buffer system. Not the cheapest setup around, but it is the best. I also run lots of products from v7 and it's all top notch. If you don't have plans to build an ultra lightweight rifle, tho, a lot of their product line would be pointless. Their standard 7075 receiver ext is every bit as good as a vltor, bcm, ect I'm sure.

If you got the funds I would say the vltor a5 system is best, in regards to a regular carbine tube just get a standard 7075 tube from a well regarded name and an h buffer and it will most certainly function fine. Once you shoot your rifle a bit you can start tinkering with buffer weights and such.
View Quote

Can you elaborate on this?

I still don't understand what the purpose of the heavy buffer is.  I'm running a middy and a rifle length 18", both with standard buffers.  They function reliably...what would be the driver to change to a heavier buffer?  I also assembled the lower for my mid-length dissy yesterday, used a PSA premium BT assembly on that which, I'm sure, is standard weight buffer.  

Has anyone done a side by side comparison with otherwise identical rifles?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I run a standard carbine buffer in my 16" mid length gun
and a spikes st-t2 in my 14.5" mid length gun and both will eat up any ammo I want to use.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I still don't understand what the purpose of the heavy buffer is.  I'm running a middy and a rifle length 18", both with standard buffers.  They function reliably...what would be the driver to change to a heavier buffer?  I also assembled the lower for my mid-length dissy yesterday, used a PSA premium BT assembly on that which, I'm sure, is standard weight buffer.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In theory lowering the cyclic rate of a weapon increases the service life of various components.
Heavy action springs and buffers delay bolt unlocking which means the chamber pressure is lower when the bolt unlocks and the velocity of the BCG is lower.
The military is switching to heavier buffers and they don’t make changes lightly.
These days I run CS flatwire springs and the lightest buffer I use is a H2.
This works for me. YMMV

Weapons are not identical however it may appear on the surface.
I remember reading about a test where the chamber pressure was tested on two seemingly identical weapons and one was about 10000 PSI lower than the other as best as I recall.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Spikes or BCM.  BCM usually is a little larger and stocks will lock up tighter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In theory lowering the cyclic rate of a weapon increases the service life of various components.
Heavy action springs and buffers delay bolt unlocking which means the chamber pressure is lower when the bolt unlocks and the velocity of the BCG is lower.
The military is switching to heavier buffers and they don’t make changes lightly.
This works for me. YMMV

I remember reading about a test where the chamber pressure was tested on two seemingly identical weapons and one was about 10000 PSI lower than the other as best as I recall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This works for me. YMMV

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done side by side tests. and the results where pretty noticeable. I took 4 lowers, 1)A5 RE + A5H4 + Wolff XP spring 2) A5 RE + A5 buffer + standard rifle spring 3) Car RE + H2 + Wolff XP 4) Car RE + Car buffer + Car spring
upper was a DD 10.3" (which reportedly has between a .078 and .080 sized gas port, .071 is mil spec on a 10.3" mk18)
the difference from the #4 standard carbine receiver extension set up and #1 was night and day. the recoil impulse was dramatically less with the heavier buffer and spring, even more so with the A5 receiver extension. I've since added a LMT enhanced carrier as well and this is also to help delay the unlocking, this is to help allow chamber pressure to drop before unlocking. have yet to run any side by side tests to see if there is any noticeable difference with the E carrier.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I like Daniel Defense buffer tubes, because I always bought things
seperate for qd plates or etc., and they are carried by more vendors.
They're also made of 7075t6, and I have had no fitting problems among two.
You could find one for about 30 bucks at dsg arms or primary arms. The
BCM buffer tube kit at AIM SURPLUS is a steal of a deal with
free shipping and top notch quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top