Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 2:34:20 PM EDT
All,

I'm putting together the pieces on a precision build around a .223 Wylde White Oak 20" DMR barrel. Will be using this primarily to predator/varmint hunt and improve my marksmanship (in addition to teaching myself how to shoot with milrads via a FFP mil/mil optic I'll pick up - likely the SWFA SS 3-15x). I may get into practical/tactical precision shooting with this setup if there are groups in my area.

From what I've read, for precision shooting a clamp-on gas block is basically mandantory, but there's also concerns of those clamps working loose. It's not as rough-and-tumble as a taper pinned gas block.

A. Go Adjustable?

Since I'm getting a clamp-on gas block regardless, is there a good or justifiable use case for an adjustable gas block here in addition? I don't have any plans on purchasing a suppressor for my rifles, and since it's a rifle-length gas system (and a 5.56 anyway), it's hardly going to be beating my shoulder up.

B. If Yes, What Model: JP or Syrac?

If an adjustable gas block has benefits outside of shooting with suppressors, what model makes the most sense?

On one hand, the JP adjustable model has four screws, which seems like it would provide a more secure clamp onto the barrel. But, there's no way to secure the adjusting screw. Since it's a clamp on anyway, there are potential issues all around for things working loose.

On the other hand, the Syrac has the detent system built in, but that also means you've got to use both hands to adjust the gas, which I'm fairly ambivalent about. I don't know how much of a factor that would be in the real world.

The detent and screw up front don't make much difference to me, as the gas block will be exposed with the 12" handguard I've got. Actually, I think I'd like the position on the side like the JP a little better anyway; easier to get to.

If an adjustable gas block isn't worth it, then I'll probably just go ahead and snag a VLTOR clamp on model and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
doesn't seem like an adjustable block will benefit you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at SLR Rifleworks block if you do go adjustable...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

From what I've read, for precision shooting a clamp-on gas block is basically mandantory, but there's also concerns of those clamps working loose. It's not as rough-and-tumble as a taper pinned gas block.

View Quote

I wouldn't worry about a clamp on gas blocks durability. The barrels index pin would snap before the gas block would break loose. If properly installed anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm currently using the JP with no complaints.
The adjustment screw stays put with a little bit of blue loctite during assembly. When i say little i mean little, just enough to make it not turn itself loose under recoil. (And let it dry for 24hrs before you adjust it).
And yeah those 4 screw lock the block up nice and tight.

However, unless you have a need like i did to tune your gas system, the adjustable blocks won't give you much an advantage over the next guy.
If you decide to go with JP's LMOS components (Or similar).... It's very necessary.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for SLR
http://www.slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=70

Only one screw, all others you get two screws

More versions in the works - see below.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/610963_SLR_Rifleworks_DA6__DA7__DA8_and_DA9_Detent_Adjustable_Gas_Blocks__Clamp_On_and_Screw_type.html

Additionally, Todd at SLR is a great guy and understands Customer Service/Relations - you will not be disappointed. Purchase is totally risk free.

Note: I am just a customer, not employed by SLR.

For ARFCOM Members- Enter ARFCOM in your shopping cart for a 5% discount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top