Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2013 7:36:39 AM EDT
I am currently building my first AR and its time to purchase a barrel. I have always been told I need a chrome lined barrel but ive been looking at chromoly barrels. I will be using this gun for varmit and target shooting. It will be a semi auto. I wanting a 16" barrel with the mid length gas chamber. Do I need a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
chromoly is a type of steel completely unrelated to chrome lining
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#2]
You don't need it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't be an operator without chrome lining.

Seriously, unless you're blowing 4000+ rounds per year down range, don't waste your money on chrome lining.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct. I disagree with those who say "don't waste your money on chrome lining". If you live in a humid environment and aren't nice to your guns chrome lining is nice to have for corrosion protection. Plus, what are talking about? An extra $20-30?

If you're looking to skimp on the barrel for a beater rifle consider a nitro-carb'd barrel like the Mossbergs that AIM has on sale for ~$110 at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^ or consider a Melonited barrel which has better corrosion and wear resistance than Chrome lined and zero potential to effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Where is the best selection of barrels? I've been buying most of my stuff on palmetto state but they are always sold out of barrels.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
AIM Surplus

To my knowledge, this is your best bet at the moment. Site sponsor to boot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^^^ or consider a Melonited barrel which has better corrosion and wear resistance than Chrome lined and zero potential to effect accuracy.
View Quote

Melonite is a form of nitrocarburizing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder how that Mossberg barrel compares to an AR-Stoner barrel that has a chrome lined chamber and bore. $15 dollars more for the Stoner barrel and it's 1 in 9" rifling. I'm building 2 rifles on for me and one for my daughter, they are not gonna be tier 1 weapons due to budget reasons. Just looking for the best bang for the buck. Here is the Stoner barrel  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/750829/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-m4-contour-1-in-9-twist-16-chrome-lined-chrome-moly-phosphate
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is correct. I disagree with those who say "don't waste your money on chrome lining". If you live in a humid environment and aren't nice to your guns chrome lining is nice to have for corrosion protection. Plus, what are talking about? An extra $20-30?

If you're looking to skimp on the barrel for a beater rifle consider a nitro-carb'd barrel like the Mossbergs that AIM has on sale for ~$110 at the moment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000. I've seen unlined chromoly barrels rust like mad on a humid day of hunting. I'll take chrome anyday of the week.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Chrome-lined is easier to clean and maintain than non-chrome-lined. Humidity is a consideration.

You've probably noticed, but both the AR-Stoner and the Mossberg barrels linked above have carbine-length gas ports. Your original post says you're looking for a mid-length. That being said, I wouldn't worry about a 1 in 9" twist, unless you're shooting heavier rounds or tracers.

I don't know how they would compare in quality. My guess is that they're both decent barrels, and the prices are attractive. Hopefully someone who has one of either of these will let us know.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Chrome lined is better for most purposes than just chromemoly, but I would opt for one of the newer melonite/nitrate type finishes for a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Also the usefull life of chrome lined is higher than just chromemoly, and a nitrated barrel lasts even long than chrome lined. In some cases twice as long. So think of it as buying an extra barrel for maybe $50 more in some cases.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Sometimes I forget the term, while not an exact description because there are many forms of nitrocarb (ion plasma for instance), is interchangeable.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also the usefull life of chrome lined is higher than just chromemoly, and a nitrated barrel lasts even long than chrome lined. In some cases twice as long. So think of it as buying an extra barrel for maybe $50 more in some cases.
View Quote

Also a good way of viewing it.
In my opinion, if "Milspec" did not still require chrome lined it would have been supplanted by QPQ Melonited which is superior in almost all measurable categories.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be the first to just come out and say it...

BUY THIS: BCM 16 inch mid length CMV, and Chrome lined
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]

No first hand experience with that particular barrel, but it should be superior to a chrome lined barrel. Nitrated barrels have been out a long time, it has been standard in glock handguns since the beginning and I have never heard of anyone wearing one out. Granted handguns and rifles are very different as are the stresses the barrels are subjected to, but the next AR I build is going to have a nitrated barrel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I used the "budget" AR Stoner barrel from Midway ($104.99) on my budget build. OP mentioned a mid length gas system.  This one is a carbine length.   Fit my PSA upper without any issues.  Headspacing was perfect.  It was a budget build.....no regrets.  

AR Stoner

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa409/Quags1/AR%20Project/IMG_4865_zpsc11761e7.jpg
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Just go with the Mossberg. I've had a few in my hand and they looked pretty decent. I'll probably try one to finish a beater build I have pending. I know your looking for middy but carbine gas will do you fine. Run a M16 BCG, H2 buffer and a Wolff XP spring. Free float it with a 12" or 13" rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top