Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2013 11:15:45 PM EDT
Forgive me if this is a repost, but I can't find an answer in the search query.  I need one with a mil spec profile so I can attach a Troy bravo rail to it.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any competition or grade variations on barrel nuts.  Also never heard of a bad USGI one.  So find one in stock and buy it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply. I just finished reading a article where LRWCi  explained they had to change the mil spec barrel nut to get more accuracy from their 14" barrels. Apparently they are not chrome lined, instead are nickel carborized aka melonite or Tennifer like Glock.  Supposedly this increases barrel life to 20,000 rounds however, a test with new copper military cartridges dropped the half life to 2500 rounds, which puts it right back to a chrome lined mil spec barrel.  Anyway, accuracy was improved by 200  meters or more with an improved barrel nut.  I would like to upgrade my mil spec Colt barrel nut to enhance accuracy.  I'm an armorer, I don't know everything and I read and do and learn.  I guess HK barrel nut resolves the binding issues inherent in the mil spec nut.  That being said, the installation procedure or the way it's installed probably has allot to do with it also.  This is cited from LWRCi article trying to produce a carbine for the Army, so it's not sourced from myself.  But I'm willing to spend 30 dollars to get a better barrel nut if it squeezes moa accuracy out of a mil spec barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Your description does not really make sense.
A link to the article would be good.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually a barrel nut is a barrel nut unless you are mounting a rail to it. Then I'd go out of my way to order from a known good company. Usually Bravo Company is where I get those types of parts. White Oak armament has decent well priced parts as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm currently using a Colt, it's getting crusty and it's bare-bones. I would like the strongest nut I can get since my bravo rail is mounted to it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to confuse you.  Just looking for the best barrel nut with a standard milspec profile.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm currently using a Colt, it's getting crusty and it's bare-bones. I would like the strongest nut I can get since my bravo rail is mounted to it.
View Quote

Can't go wrong there my friend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
You gave me an idea gonna sell my Alpha and I should throw in a barrel nut to sweeten the deal...
thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Without looking at the article you're referring to, are you sure it wasn't about barrel extensions?  

The type of barrel nut will be dictated, for the most part, by the design of the rail - HK's barrel nut is designed the way it is so that it can mount the HK rail.  

No barrel nut is chrome lined, and I cannot imagine a reason it would be, but if you have a Colt barrel nut, I would be fairly certain that you have the best standard pattern barrel nut currently available.  

With so many different rails using so many different barrel nuts, no one has really focused too much on improving the stock barrel nut, though IIRC perhaps Troy or someone released, or considered releasing an "improved barrel nut" designed to be compatible with USGI parts - but I don't recall it gaining much traction.  

Most manufacturers are simply going to offer enhanced barrel nuts to go with their enhanced rails, no point in "upgrading" the functional standard part that's bound to get changed out eventually by most people who are hell bent on "enhancing" their rifle anyways.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forgive me if this is a repost, but I can't find an answer in the search query.  I need one with a mil spec profile so I can attach a Troy bravo rail to it.  Thanks in advance!
View Quote

You might check this one out. Not true Mil-spec but hell bent for strength.

Core 15 Barrel Nut

EDIT: It appears it will not work with the Troy Alpha.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I emailed Izzy at core15, the sight claim the nut doesn't work on Troy rails, but I'm hoping it will work on the bravo rail.  We will see, if anyone knows feel free, I know the bravo rail is common.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Core15 tech support clarified that you cannot use any Troy rails with the clamp system.  The core15 has added material preventing Troy clamps from slipping into under the cogs.  I'm back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I mounted my centurion rail onto a Bravo Company barrel nut. Works perfect.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#14]
It doesn't have much of a description on the BC website. It looks very similar to Colts nut.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You might check this one out. Not true Mil-spec but hell bent for strength.

Core 15 Barrel Nut

View Quote

I'm using this one on my current build, should get here in the mail today.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my barrel nut from BCM. As far as im concerned, a milspec barrel nut sounds  kinda ridiculous.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I mounted my centurion rail onto a Bravo Company barrel nut. Works perfect.
View Quote

I just mounted one to an ADCO barrel nut.  I forgot to ask Steve if it was milspec.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Milspec nuts are definitely the way to go..  
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm confused... What exactly is wrong with your Colt barrel nut?

Are the teeth rounded off or something?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#20]
The foreand I installed mounts on the nut, I want the strongest option I can get.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The foreand I installed mounts on the nut, I want the strongest option I can get.
View Quote

In that case the Colt nut will work perfectly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top