Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2013 4:29:19 AM EDT
Just got this upper from a company that advertises here and wonder if these feedramps look okay?
There is quite a big ledge between the upper and barrel extension and the two pieces aren't aligned perfectly.

Thanks for your input

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen that picture, but thanks for posting it. I guess my main question is if the ledge is of any concern?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It would not concern me if it where mine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:31:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have seen that picture, but thanks for posting it. I guess my main question is if the ledge is of any concern?
View Quote

Run your finger, or the spine of a knife across the ramps to see if it catches. If not, then do not worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree with just checking it to ensure a smooth ride but those look pretty concerning to me.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
the small ledge between the barrel extension and upper receiver should be fine.  if it were mine i would shoot it
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got this upper from a company that advertises here and wonder if these feedramps look okay?
There is quite a big ledge between the upper and barrel extension and the two pieces aren't aligned perfectly.

Thanks for your input

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gnocchi/media/IMG_5387_zps0ca46c00.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/gnocchi/IMG_5387_zps0ca46c00.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/gnocchi/media/IMG_5395_zpsa85e980b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/gnocchi/IMG_5395_zpsa85e980b.jpg</a>
View Quote

That does not look pretty to me.

Even all of the uppers that I assembled myself looks better than yours with minimum gaps and mismatches.

I once got a brand new upper that was factory made by a major brand which I bought from an ARFCOM dealer and the barrel was loose because I could also see the barrel nut was moving, I had to tighten it to spec before using it.

Before tightening it I also notice the larger than normal gaps between the barrel extension and upper receiver, after I tightened the barrel nut the large gaps were gone.

One way to find out is take it to the range and see if there are going to be any problems.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yikes thats rough. It may feed fine, but thats definitely not normal. All mine line up perfectly with no gaps. That barrel extension is cut all sorts of bad.
You can see the extension ramps are deeper than they should be which causes the gap and makes them not line up.
Its not the receiver, its definitely the bbl extension.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again everyone, appreciate your insights.

Wanted to get opinions before I took it out for a test run. I cannot return it if it is used without a hassle.
I think I will just play it safe and return it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#10]
That's what I would do.  It looks awful and I wouldn't chance not being able to return it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont think returning the upper will do much as im 99% sure its the barrel ext.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yikes thats rough. It may feed fine, but thats definitely not normal. All mine line up perfectly with no gaps. That barrel extension is cut all sorts of bad.
You can see the extension ramps are deeper than they should be which causes the gap and makes them not line up.
View Quote

I disagree.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]
When the M4 cuts are machined into the upper receiver - they tend to vary somewhat.  It is important that any err be to making a smaller cut than a deeper one.  You have a smaller cut.  This ensures there wont be any reliability issues.  That "ledge" wont hurt a thing.

I have found many assembled uppers where they do not rotationally align, and this is MUCH more of a concern.  This is caused most often by the barrel canting in the upper receiver during torqueing.  This will cause the bolt to not be properly aligned when it mates with the barrel extension and over time will chip/wear the lugs on the bolt and extension.  My experience is that it is very rare for there to be an issue with an extension, however it is possible.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks again everyone, appreciate your insights.

Wanted to get opinions before I took it out for a test run. I cannot return it if it is used without a hassle.
I think I will just play it safe and return it.
View Quote

Good choice.
The feedramp angle looks bad and the rotational alignment looks bad.
As much as these things cost neither would be acceptable to me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I disagree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

Looking at the extension the ramps look deep, and where it "v's" up in between the two ramps is a much thinner and pointier V when compared to pictures and all mine. It could just be the angle and lighting of the picture, but it also looks like the bottom of the ramps dont round off much, which would also be caused by too deep cut ramps.
Those ext ramps look cut really deep. Was just how it looks from the picture. I could very well be wrong though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looking at the extension the ramps look deep, and where it "v's" up in between the two ramps is a much thinner and pointier V when compared to pictures and all mine. It could just be the angle and lighting of the picture, but it also looks like the bottom of the ramps dont round off much, which would also be caused by too deep cut ramps.
Those ext ramps look cut really deep. Was just how it looks from the picture. I could very well be wrong though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

Like I said... it might be.  But you see a LOT more uppers with varied specs, than you do extensions.  Just from the picture there is no way I could say it is "definitely" the extension.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I cant argue with you there. Upper ramps vary a ton.
It looks like itd feed okay even like that, but it would bother me knowing it was like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top