Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2013 6:59:42 PM EDT
I am almost finished with a build I am doing for my wife's uncle and the last thing on the list is a FF rail of some sort. I personally use NSRs but since this is going to be on a PSA middie upper, I don't want to take the FSB off and switch out the barrel nut. So what rails are manufactured that allow me to cut the FSB, hand guard retainer cups, delta ring and spring off the upper and then slide a FF rail without rail sections all the way down at 2, 9, and possibly 6 o'clock positions?

Criteria:

-Attaches to standard barrel nut
-No full-length rails running at 3 and 9 o'clock positions (partial built-in short rail sections near the front ar OK)
-KeyMod is OK

Here is my list so far:

-Troy Alpha

-VTAC Alpha

-Samson Evolution

-Rainier Arms Evolution

-Fortis REV™

-Apex Handguard System

-VLTOR CASV

-DIAMONDHEAD V-RS "T"

I'll update this post as people chime in.

I've seen a few new keymod rails on this site over the last few weeks but I can't remember who made them or if they allow for the standard barrel nut to stay in place.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was in your position, I'd be buying the Fortis REV. In fact, it's what I will be replacing my Samson EVO with as soon as I have the spare funds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If I was in your position, I'd be buying the Fortis REV. In fact, it's what I will be replacing my Samson EVO with as soon as I have the spare funds.

I'm just not crazy about it's full-length run of rail at the 6 o'clock position. This was a good exercise, as it showed me that I probably just need to suck it up and put a NSR or Odinworks KMod rail on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just not crazy about it's full-length run of rail at the 6 o'clock position. This was a good exercise, as it showed me that I probably just need to suck it up and put a NSR or Odinworks KMod rail on it.

once you use one, you will see the benefit. I'm over the concept of adding rail sections.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't see why people are so crazy for the NSR. I know it's a good rail, but it's lacking anti-rotation with out special modification and the price is pretty high. I've been playing legos with customizable rail sections, and I've drawn the conclusion over time that 12 and 6 are all I need. Playing legos with a rail now just kind of annoys me.

If it weren't for the Fortis, I would be getting a Geissle. It's just too appealing to not have to pull the barrel, and to be able to use standardized parts in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Of the rails you have mentioned I have used a couple of the Troy Alphas and the Fortis Rev.

When the funds allow, the Alphas will be replaced with more REVs.

I couldn't really care less about the 6 o'clock rail either, but that is the best feeling handguard I have ever had in my hand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Of the rails you have mentioned I have used a couple of the Troy Alphas and the Fortis Rev.

I couldn't really care less about the 6 o'clock rail either, but that is the best feeling handguard I have ever had in my hand.

I've had a few Alphas and I really liked them...Until I ran the NSR. Now the Alphas feel like meat grinders. As for the NSR's not having anti-rotational tabs, I just mate them with Noveske/VLTOR MURs and use the included anti-rotational pins. Rainier Arms also makes an upper that is pre-drilled for the anti-rotation pin. I kind of wish the Noveske would put integral QDs on the receiver side of the rail but that is just about my only criticism of them.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. I really didn't want to go all out on this build but given the list of FF rails that meet my build wish list, I may just have to spring for something with a non-standardized barrel nut. I was really hoping not to have to remove the FSB.

If somebody made a cross between an Alpha, NSR and Fortis (that mounted on a standard barrel nut), they would clean up with the crowd who doesn't mind taking a Dremel to a FSB (but doesn't want to go through the hassle of finding out how hard it is to get their FSB off).
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a few Alphas and I really liked them...Until I ran the NSR. Now the Alphas feel like meat grinders.

Here is how I fixed my meat grinders. Feels pretty good. Still like the REV better.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a few Alphas and I really liked them...Until I ran the NSR. Now the Alphas feel like meat grinders.

Here is how I fixed my meat grinders. Feels pretty good. Still like the REV better.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/twpayne75/media/008_zps98def1c1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/008_zps98def1c1.jpg</a>

I tried those Squid Grips too. They easily pop off. Plus, if you get one drop of any type gun oil/lube/cleaner on them, they stay greasy for about a week.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 3:04:58 AM EDT
[#9]
The Squid grips are on there more to keep the rail from getting beat up. The KAC panels are what I hold it by and they make it feel a lot better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top