Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 6:53:29 PM EDT
Bell & Carlson discontinued their thumbhole stock.  Is there any way to buy Remington's?  Or is there another manufacturer out there?  I asked the Californians, but those poor folks can't even use thumbhole stocks.

Specifically, I'm looking for a one piece stock that encloses the buffer tube and also attaches to the pistol grip mount.  (bb <--- waits for the cries of Leish?  Leish?)
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Answered my own question, sigh:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2009/firearms/model-r-15-vtr-thumbhole.aspx

Bell & Carlson is what Remington introduced the VTR w/.  Wonder what they're using now, or they just have plenty in stock?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
The Bell and Carlson thumbhole stock is very uncomfy to use. I have modded mine considerably to allow easy access to the safety, make the stock removable(it is not from the factory without damaging the safety spring and or the lower!!!!) and far more ergonomical. Most certainly a real thumbs down stock in factory condition.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Your in Texas. Why on earth would you wanna use that nasty thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I found that the safety wouldnt function without some releiving of the stock as well. I also had a issue with even reaching the safety because of the thickness of the stock blocking a natural reach with the thumb, so that area was sanded down. The stock responds very well to these mods.
you can see the area modified compared to the pic in the post above,

The stock now feels as comfy as any other stock. BUT with NYS also making a thumbhole stock a evil assault weapon feature, I found absolutely no reason to use the stock seeing the weapon is considered illegal regardless of the type of stock now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your in Texas. Why on earth would you wanna use that nasty thing.

A thumbhole stock should reinforce a plastic lower, which is probably why Cav Arms built their lower as they did.  There's a reported catastrophic failure of one of the ATI plastic lowers @ the buffer tube mount on this board.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/607145_Stay_Away_from_ATI_Onmi_Poly_lowers__Broke_after_two_rounds_.html
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found that the safety wouldnt function without some releiving of the stock as well. I also had a issue with even reaching the safety because of the thickness of the stock blocking a natural reach with the thumb, so that area was sanded down. The stock responds very well to these mods.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_1486_zpse3681829.jpg

The stock now feels as comfy as any other stock. BUT with NYS also making a thumbhole stock a evil assault weapon feature, I found absolutely no reason to use the stock seeing the weapon is considered illegal regardless of the type of stock now.

I tried sending you an Im, but your mail box is full. Would you be interested in selling the thumbhole stock? let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_1486_zpse3681829.jpg

I tried sending you an Im, but your mail box is full. Would you be interested in selling the thumbhole stock? let me know.

Thanks,

Frank

I sent ya a email
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top