Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2013 6:40:52 PM EDT
Since the lower is how an AR is serialed, couldn't you buy a bunch of bare lowers only and keep those in case an AWB is passed and have them grandfathered through?  If so I'm curious who the mid range lower manufacturers are.  I dont need door kicking quality gear, just a solid lower i could keep to build off of later.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time around they had to be assembled into a rifle prior to the effective date to be legal.

This time, who knows?

Nothing's stopping you from buying a bunch of lowers, and building each sequentially with the same parts kit.  Slap on an upper, maybe take a picture, and you'd be GTG.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a 80% lower "loophole" might be a better idea.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Last time around they had to be assembled into a rifle prior to the effective date to be legal.

This time, who knows?

Nothing's stopping you from buying a bunch of lowers, and building each sequentially with the same parts kit.  Slap on an upper, maybe take a picture, and you'd be GTG.

Who's to say when it was assembled? I can't even remember when mine were built.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless they were to ban all barrel and upper sales also, how whould anyone know when it was assembeld it?

Think mags of course.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I should also ask, did that last AWB ban sale of lowers, uppers, etc?  I was only 8 when it was put in place so don't really know the nitty gritty details.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You could buy lowers but you could not assemble them into a configuration that would be illegal.  You could buy uppers in any configuration you wanted but it was up to you to make sure you stayed legal. Another words, if you bought a threaded upper with bayo-lug then it could only be put on a pre-ban lower.  If you bought a pre-ban style upper and then put it on a ban lower you would be in violation of the law.  As said, you could not stock pile lowers and build them up into pre-ban rifles after the ban went into affect because the rifle had to be built before the ban went into place.  People think they could skirt the law but if they had gotten caught then as Desi said, "Lucy, you got some 'splanin' to do."
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#7]
This is my question? How can anyone prove when a rifle was built?

Aside from a serialized lower and possibly a time stamp on mags there are no identifying marks on a rifle concerning the date of manufacture,

Link Posted: 3/20/2013 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
To the OP, the answer is YES and the answer is NO.

Tricky thing about AWBs is that you don't know how they are going to be passed until they are in their final stages.  They can decide to pass it without the grandfather clause, and all ARs will need to meet their requirements.

I would be more worried about Universal Background checks than AWBs.  The best way to prepare for those is to just buy a bunch of receivers FTF right now, and box them up for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#9]
No ban threads / topics in the tech forums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top