Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2012 5:08:38 AM EDT
Hello All,

I am a complete newbie on this site and this is my first post so please bear with me.

I live in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts.  Taxachusetts has kept the miserably failed Assault Weapons Ban of 1994-2004 as its law because the AWB has been very effective in stopping criminal scoundrels from bayoneting hapless citizens during their morning commute.

I am building my first AR15.  Since I cannot have a collapsible stock because a collapsible stock would render my rifle that much more "dangerous", I have to find a fixed stock for my build.  I am NOT interested in making my AR a beauty queen or a "cool guy" gun.  I just need the absolute cheapest fixed stock that will make this thing work and comply with my state's nonsensical laws.

Is there a brand and/or retailer that you can recommend?  Is there a site where I can find a trade or used stock for cheap?

Thank you for reading my rant.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are not wanting cool and fancy and just something that works and as cheaply as possible, there is not a darned thing wrong with any of the standard A2 stocks made by just about everyone.  No one brand IMO is much if any better than the other.
However, my favorite fixed stock is the Mag-Pul MOE fixed rifle stock.  I have bought three of them now and they have changed the way I have been looking at my fixed stocked ARs.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#2]
if you want an A2 style that is slightly shorter, look a the Cavalry Arms C1 buttstock for about the same price.  Rock River Arms makes a really short fixed stock called their "Entry Stock"....also for about the same money.  for a few $ more there is the Sully Stock.  And Ace makes a bunch of lightweight fixed stocks, also slightly more than standard fixed stocks.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in NJ and share your situation w/ the AWB limitations.

I'm running an ACE Entry on a setup I did for my wife.  It's more or less the equivalent of a carbine stock set to it's shortest position.  ACE makes a 1" rubber butt pad for it as well.

On the rifle that I use as a primary, I'm running the VLTOR rifle modstock.

Link is here
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed stocks: A1, A2, RRA entry, BM shorty, Calvary Arms C1, Sully, RRA Operator, ACE skeleton, ACE ultra lite, MAGS EFX, VLTOR ARM, Magpul PRS, Magpul MOE fixed stock, and Magpul FCS.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm running an ACE Entry on a setup I did for my wife.  It's more or less the equivalent of a carbine stock set to it's shortest position.  ACE makes a 1" rubber butt pad for it as well.

Link is here

I was thinking of getting a ACE stock how strong is it and how long will the pad last? Can you make a bigger cheek well any info would be great
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

if you want an A2 style that is slightly shorter, look a the Cavalry Arms C1 buttstock for about the same price.  Rock River Arms makes a really short fixed stock called their "Entry Stock"....also for about the same money.  for a few $ more there is the Sully Stock.  And Ace makes a bunch of lightweight fixed stocks, also slightly more than standard fixed stocks.
advntrjnky

If you get the C1 get it from Fulton armory with the A2 hardware it's  much nicer. The Magpul fixed is another good option PSA has a full kit with everything you need to install it

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Pin M4 stock in place. About as cheap as it gets, roll pins cost a few cents.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Sully stock for me.  It offers the short LOP that I prefer.  It is built like a tank.  It is expensive.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:13:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the new Magpul MOE fixed and like it. A hair longer than an A1 and a hair shorter than an A2.

I would also look for complete and in good condition A1 stock on the EE. Give on a try and you will be surprised how well they work and how little they snag on clothing. Sometimes the original is right from the get go.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fixed stocks: A1, A2, RRA entry, BM shorty, Calvary Arms C1, Sully, RRA Operator, ACE skeleton, ACE ultra lite, MAGS EFX, VLTOR ARM, Magpul PRS, Magpul MOE fixed stock, and Magpul FCS.

Magpul FCS?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hello All,

I am a complete newbie on this site and this is my first post so please bear with me.

I live in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts.  Taxachusetts has kept the miserably failed Assault Weapons Ban of 1994-2004 as its law because the AWB has been very effective in stopping criminal scoundrels from bayoneting hapless citizens during their morning commute.

I am building my first AR15.  Since I cannot have a collapsible stock because a collapsible stock would render my rifle that much more "dangerous", I have to find a fixed stock for my build.  I am NOT interested in making my AR a beauty queen or a "cool guy" gun.  I just need the absolute cheapest fixed stock that will make this thing work and comply with my state's nonsensical laws.

Is there a brand and/or retailer that you can recommend?  Is there a site where I can find a trade or used stock for cheap?

Thank you for reading my rant.

well technically you can have an adjustable stock it just can't be functional. so if you really like the M4 look go for it. Just pin it so it is fixed.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 3:29:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Surplus A1.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link is here

I was thinking of getting a ACE stock how strong is it and how long will the pad last? Can you make a bigger cheek well any info would be great

Are you asking, how long does the foam wrapping on the extension tube last?  I still have the original foam on it, but to be fair, this rifle doesn't get shot much.  I've seen quite a few people wrap the extension tube in a braid of 550 Para cord.  

As to the strength of the stock, I've never mortarred it or smashed anything with it, but it does seem very stout.  I would venture to guess that it's stronger than a collapsable stock.

Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul FCS?

Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock. It's supposedly like the MOE rifle stock, but shorter. I am patiently waiting for its release; hurry up Magpul!
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
IM sent.  I might have one kicking around.... so it will be REAL cheap.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#17]
honestly man... I had this stock and I loved it... I would encourage you to save up a bit

Magpul Precision Adjustable

I had the 7.62 version on an old m14 build I had. It was as if the angels from heaven had made it just for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for the excellent suggestion.  What is the "EE"?
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread need's pic's.

Here's a Magpul Moe Rifle Stock.

Link Posted: 12/19/2012 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread need's pic's.

Here's a Magpul Moe Rifle Stock.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/Col_Cotton_Hill/Dissy%20build/dissybuild058_zps8d4d5b3b.jpg

I like mine too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#21]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank you for the excellent suggestion.  What is the "EE"?

That'd be the Equipment Exchange, where members buy, sell, or trade new and used parts. Orange button in the top-right corner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My favorite stock is the Colt SP1 A1 stock. I was lucky enough to score 3 of them from a couple of our member on the EE. Be careful clicking on that orange button. It can become habit forming.
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I like the Ace ARFX.  Have several and you can get an optional 1" buttpad if you need a bit of extra LOP.  See below.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I like the Ace ARFX.  Have several and you can get an optional 1" buttpad if you need a bit of extra LOP.  See below.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SASS_11.jpg

I agree.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top