Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2012 3:47:38 PM EDT
For the owners of these newer lowers in the subject, would you please share your experience with/opinion about them? I'm pondering purchasing one, however, I have no expierence with them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I built my AR on a Surplus Arms & Ammo lower.  I don't know if it was a gen II or not, it doesn't say so on the receiver so maybe it's not.   Anyway.... the point is that the lower was flawless.  No flash, no rough edges, very smooth corners inside and out, assembled with cheap lower parts kit with no problem.  Fits just fine on the upper.  Very happy with the results!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I can buy a stripped lower at my lgs for $89.  Is that a decent price?

I wonder how they compare to PSA lowers?

Glad to hear they are gtg.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe they are both private label lowers made by the same company: Aero Precision.  You'll make a fine AR with either one.  

But don't dick around.  Order that bad boy and start building, brother!
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
imo, they were better than PSA; low shelf, rear takedown pin detent hole was threaded for 4-40 set screw, and a smoother darker anodizing.

(neither had fitment issues and went together fine)
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
imo, they were better than PSA; low shelf, rear takedown pin detent hole was threaded for 4-40 set screw, and a smoother darker anodizing.

(neither had fitment issues and went together fine)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO. I've been looking all over for this info.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a "gen II"?  What supposedly changed?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, gents. I ordered one from Surplus Arms.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It appears only the rollmark has changed..
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah roll mark and S A A Tacoma , WA. On the side.

I don't know if they thought people associated the word "surplus" with being cheaper or something.

But you will be happy with your choice.  I have built 4 Surplus lowers, 3 PSA, and 1 Spikes, and the surplus ones are by far the best, IMHO. They match more uppers better than the Spikes, as the Spikes are more glossy.  And have the detent hole tapped as well as the grip screw hole threaded all the way up to do the set screw trigger mod.  Both of these last ones the Spikes or the PSA don't offer.  Finish of the Surplus and the PSA or colored very close, but the Surplus seems to not show finger prints as bad.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
SAA are very solid lowers.  As has been said, made by Aero Precision.  They also make the lowers for Spikes.

Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA and Surplus are made by the same company as stated, Aero Precision.

I actually have one of both that i am waiting on lpk's to build them
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PSA and Surplus are made by the same company as stated, Aero Precision.

I actually have one of both that i am waiting on lpk's to build them

I don't know about that.  New frontier armory G15 lowers seem to be made from the same aero precision company based on description and it has the 4-40 threaded hole.  But when i went to a gunsmith we looked at another order of PSA lowers and compared them to my New Frontier G15 lowers. The G15 seemed a little more consistent in blueing, and the rear takedown spring hole on the PSA lower wasn't threaded at all.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The G15 seemed a little more consistent in blueing, and the rear takedown spring hole on the PSA lower wasn't threaded at all.

This is all based on Aero Precision, as the supposed prime manufacturer.  Don't blame the maker.

The SAA and AP lowers will all be the same.  If AP is manufacturing this lower for others, and it doesn't have the same features, then ask the "manufacturer" of your lower why they didn't include all the features that AP can produce...  Those other guys are the ultimate "sellers" and chose what features they want to sell, at what cost, from the guys that produce them, for real.  Just buy the Aero Precision lowers, and cut out the middleman.  You get everything they offer, that way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I just finished building the first of three SSA Gen II stripped lowers that I bought from AIM, and I think I actually like the SSA's finish better than my two Spike's.  

I used a PSA parts kit, and everything went together with no issues at all.  

I put a BCA upper on it, and it fit the SSA really well, with hardly any slop at all.  

There was a small raised line above and behind the pistol grip.  Since I prefer a grip that has an extension for the web of the hand, like a Magpul MOE, and that type of grip covers that area on the lower, I didn't mind that at all.  The original GI grip wouldn't cover it, but I don't think it would be a problem any way, because it wasn't sharp or irritating like flash would be.  It really was barely even noticeable.  I only mentioned this to be thorough, and that was the ONLY criticism I have of this lower at all!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top