Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 3:34:34 PM EDT
My current carbine reciever extension seems to be on the small side of spec... both my Vltor and ACS stocks are loose on it. And when I say loose, I mean looser than a two-dollar whore after a New Years party loose.

Back in the day I've had Vltor's and Magpul CTRs that have locked up tight on other extensions I had in the past, but I don't remember who I used (too many builds and I only have this one tube left).

So what brands are you guys using and how tight does your magpul or vltor stocks fit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only tried 2 different brands.  I have a PSA and a Spike's Tactical.  CTR fits great on the Spike's and rattles a little on the PSA.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I own a PWS and its worth the coin in my opinion. Billet to put.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I am assuming the stock and the tube are the same. Commercial vs. mil-spec?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]
considering that companies typically do not release their technical data on their tolerance spec.... who knows?

throw a piece of electrical tape on the top of the tube and then try it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd like to know this as well. However, I suspect you won't be able to find out. The best method is probably buying several different buffer tubes and keeping the one with the best fit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Try a stag tube! The two I have used have been no slop on a Ctr and moe!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
In my small sample size of two, my BCM mil-spec size buffer tubes seems the tightest on all my different stocks.

The other mil-spec sizes tubes that I have are Colt X2, LMT, and Vltor, my stocks are Vltor EMOD, IMOD, CTR, MOE, Colt M4 and LMT M4 which all fits about average (not tight and not loose) with my other buffer tubes except my BCM, all of my stocks fits snug on it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own a PWS and its worth the coin in my opinion. Billet to put.

I just looked at that, and wow...150 bucks for a buffer tube is pretty steep.  Do you think it actually reduces recoil because of the "dead blow hammer" or whatever they claim is inside?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Larue now also makes receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Just a note - receiver extensions that are too tight can be difficult to adjust when they get dirty, grit will cause them to bind up more easily.  

The reason the CTR was such a revolutionary design is that it allowed free movement on a receiver extension, while still being able to "lock up" without the usual resultant slight wobble.  

If your rifles don't get that dirty, then it's a moot point, but while I don't like "sloppy" RETs, I don't particularly subscribe to the super tight extension thing.  If that's what you want, no problem, just so long as you know you're looking for the RRA of receiver extensions.  

Stock manufacturers have publicly complained before that the military keeps demanding looser and looser stocks, while the commercial market insists on tighter and tighter ones leaving the manufacturer who wants both military sales and commercial sales in a tight spot with design.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top