Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 8:02:05 AM EDT
I'm going to get one of these for my uspsa gun soon and I'm pretty torn between the two.

I'm going to list my pros and cons IMO of each and you can let me know what you think. Fwiw I have no experience with either.

Rainier pros:
Lightweight
Thermal bushings
I really like the QD socket it comes with
12" model which is what I prefer

Cons:
IMO it isn't as pretty
Clamping system

Troy alpha pros:
Looks cool
Lightweight
Possibly a better clamping system than the evolution
Aftermarket support from several venders for add ons.

Cons:
Gets hot fast
No 12" model
I'll have to buy a QD socket unless I want to waste my 4" section of rail
I have to buy the model with no sight unless I want to run the 13" rail.

Right now I'm leaning towards the rainier evolution unless people have a reason to stay clear of them.

This is going on a 16" SS middy and from experience I find my ape arms prefer a 12" rail if I'm going to do the magpul hold.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about the Rainier ra15 go for it I have seen and held one and I liked it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm referring to the one that is very similar to the Troy in the way it mounts and looks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like you already made a decision. In my experience, I don't plink and I don't go to matches I'll leave it at that, looking cool is a plus, but never a decision making factor when it comes to my AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It sounds like you already made a decision. In my experience, I don't plink and I don't go to matches I'll leave it at that, looking cool is a plus, but never a decision making factor when it comes to my AR.

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Both of these were on my short list of handguards I was considering for my SBR. I was down to:
Samson Evolution
Rainier Arms version
Centurion Arms
Troy Alpha
Apex
Troy TRX Extreme
Spikes SAR

I waited for the Alpha, with front sight to eliminate an expense (the sight itself) but the reviews so far paint it pretty sub par. Back to the Troy, Samson, Rainier. Pretty much the same forearm,,,,and cheaper than the others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I want something that utilizes the stock barrel nut so that rules almost everything out for me besides these too. I don't want a quad rail and I didn't want something super heavy. I'm going to add a heavier stock to this rifle eventually also so it is a little more stabil while shooting. But I dont want to go overkill. I'm thinking maybe an acs or vltor a5.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
RAINIER ARMS FUCKIN ROCKS! DOOOO EEEEET!

as far as actual reasons both clamping systems are rock solid
there are more internet how to's on rainier arms clamping systems
rainier arms has the size you want
troy doesnt and you have to buy all this extra shit
and rainier arms sends you shit with a bad as STICKER!@!$#@%%
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the same dilemma as you did. But I really disliked the system that utilizes a locking tab with 2 screws set in to helicoils. So I went with the Alpha rail. Having bought and used the rail, I really do like the mounting system. I might be spending a little more money but it was worth it in my opinion.

Also anything that worked with the TRX Extreme also works for the Alpha rail. So I used the low profile QD swivel mount from Noveske. And since it mounts in the holes in the hand guard, it's very low profile.

The only other thing I can add for you to consider is how they feel on your hands.

The Alpha rail shares the TRX Extreme's cheese grater feel when you grip the rail without gloves. This can be a deal breaker for some.
The Rainer/Samson EVO has a smoother gripping surface so is much easier to grasp with bare hands.

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
If the heli-coil strips or fails it would be easy to run a longer screw with a nut on the other side. Sure it would look funny, but it would never come lose.

The mounting system is my biggest concern with the rainier or TRX extreme rail.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
centurion arms FTW
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Both of these were on my short list of handguards I was considering for my SBR. I was down to:
Samson Evolution
Rainier Arms version
Centurion Arms
Troy Alpha
Apex
Troy TRX Extreme
Spikes SAR

I waited for the Alpha, with front sight to eliminate an expense (the sight itself) but the reviews so far paint it pretty sub par. Back to the Troy, Samson, Rainier. Pretty much the same forearm,,,,and cheaper than the others.

subpar?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samson Evolution
Rainier Arms version
Centurion Arms
Troy Alpha
Apex
Troy TRX Extreme
Spikes SAR

subpar?

Certain Troy Alpha rails with the integrated folding front sight, when folded down and stored, will have interferences with certain gas systems. So an 11" rail with integrated front sight wont work with a mid length with low profile gas block. Likewise, the 13" rail with integrated front sight wont work with a rifle length with low profile gas block.

This was not initially advertised when the rails were released. But there is now a disclaimer on the Troy website stating this.

Personally, I dislike folding sights (For reference, I use fixed front and rear sights and utilize a 1/3 cowitness with my Aimpoint) so I opted to wait for the sight-less variant of the Alpha rail.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Imo, def the rainer arms rail i will be ordering mine tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I would only buy LaRue or Daniel Defense personally.  The FDE Troy has tempted me though.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I see you feel that the rainier evo is ugly, have you looked at the "normal" samson evolution?  I think it is more normal looking
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Samson Evolution
Rainier Arms version
Centurion Arms
Troy Alpha
Apex
Troy TRX Extreme
Spikes SAR

subpar?

Certain Troy Alpha rails with the integrated folding front sight, when folded down and stored, will have interferences with certain gas systems. So an 11" rail with integrated front sight wont work with a mid length with low profile gas block. Likewise, the 13" rail with integrated front sight wont work with a rifle length with low profile gas block.

This was not initially advertised when the rails were released. But there is now a disclaimer on the Troy website stating this.

Personally, I dislike folding sights (For reference, I use fixed front and rear sights and utilize a 1/3 cowitness with my Aimpoint) so I opted to wait for the sight-less variant of the Alpha rail.

There is also a thread going where the owner stated he had 1/4" of side to side movement with the sight itself. Waiting on Troy to repair/replace rail. I really want to like this set up and it covers a lot of bases, but not one where zero moves with every sight deployment.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top