Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2011 6:21:59 PM EDT
For all you DD Omega rail guys - how does the Omega rail do with heat?  I have a lightweight BCM upper that on heavy rapid fire (magpul class), the MOE handguard heats up so fast I have to use a glove.  Was thinking about replace it with a Omega rail.  How does it handle heat on rapid fire?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I rarely do any mag dumps or extended periods of rapid fire, but I I have shot enough to get it too hot to handle without rail covers a of couple times. I would definitely say some kind of rail covers will be necessary, even if it's just ladder type. Especially if your doing any training drills, live-fire courses etc. Otherwise fantastic rail!
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For all you DD Omega rail guys - how does the Omega rail do with heat?  I have a lightweight BCM upper that on heavy rapid fire (magpul class), the MOE handguard heats up so fast I have to use a glove.  Was thinking about replace it with a Omega rail.  How does it handle heat on rapid fire?

Thanks!

I'm not sure any bare rail will withstand the heat without covers. I ran a KAC SR15 in a Pat Rogers class and it got really hot as well even with the rail covers..
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
it probably heats up fast because you have a lightweight barrel

get a heavier one or wear gloves is my suggestion
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
it probably heats up fast because you have a lightweight barrel
get a heavier one or wear gloves is my suggestion

I think it may be the lightweight barrel as well.  I love how light my AR is with the lightweight barrel but I guest the heat is the trade off.  Spike's now has their new optimum barrel, lighter than govt profile but thicker than lightweight.  I found if that barrel would do better with heat and still be light?

Thanks for all the replies!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy some rail panels and use the barrel you want.

A light barrel will heat up faster than a heavier barrel but a heavy barrel will stay hot longer than a lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually had the same issue... ran a moe first, heat got to be too much.  So switched out the moe for Omega, still had a heat issue.  Added index clips and TD QD VFG.  Problem solved - Gloves or no gloves.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
on my DDM4v5 which has the Omega-X  it gets too hot to touch even with the ladders.  The vert grip works but that makes me change my grip which I dont really like.  I will try and pick up some Magpul panels to see if it gets better.  I might just start wearing gloves if I shoot more than 100 rounds thru it or at matches with high round counts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I"ve used the Magpul XT and XTM covers in the past.  Using quality covers from KAC, Tango Down, Magpul will solve your problem.  Ladders were designed to provide minimal protection to the rails, not your hands.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
One advantage of the surefire series of rails - minuses for height and the fact they are far from FF, however, they have heat shields.  I notice a difference with mine vs. other handguards - but then again they are mounted on a fluted heavy barrel carbine.  

All that said, I much prefer the Omega.  But if heat mitigation is #1 priority and you must have a rail, look into surefire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have done a few mag dumps (3 mags in a row) with my Omega and Index clips and never noticed a problem with heat.
How much ammo do you want to dump ?Rapid fire = full auto ? or just semi ? with semi I don't see a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top