Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2011 10:12:54 PM EDT

the rails look pretty slim now..which i like..  and 12oz only  bit over 2 oz heavier (than DD Omega)
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#1]
UTG seems to make good products. They don't cost enough to be any good to most people.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 3:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Where did Order them from?  They look nice.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Notice how well the upper receiver lines up with the handguard rail. Looks off....

UTG has a loooooong way to come before I consider them for anything. There are too many good manufacturers now to take a chance on quality. For me at least.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Notice how well the upper receiver lines up with the handguard rail. Looks off....

UTG has a loooooong way to come before I consider them for anything.

To be fair, it could have been installed with very little attention to detail. Some people do not notice nor care about those kind of things.

The first quad I ever owned was a drop-in UTG. It was extremely solid and never moved, but was really wide and heavy. I'm just glad that they are trying to improve their offerings to the AR community as many out there can't afford some of the hi-speed stuff that others use. Having said that, the Troy XTR Battlerails are reasonably priced, versatile, and very light , but not nearly as cheap as the UTG stuff. People buy what they can afford and most will actually never need the weapon to be "bet your life on it" solid.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
So is Smith and Wesson putting UTG rails on the M&P15T, now?  Those seem to be the rails that come from the factory.  

I hope this is not true.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
They seem to have made some good design changes. Theyre even made in the USA now. For $90 for a 12" I'll probably give a set a try sometime just to see how well they're made.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
UTG sent one for test/evaluation. It is narrow and light weight. Nice finish on it. Mine lined up well with the top rail. Anti rotation clips built in.
I'll give them this––they addressed complaints about the wide heavy rails they were putting out. These are a completely different rail system.

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I may have to buy one of these for my .22 upper.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't consider UTG quality yet, but they are improving rapidly.  They've started manufacturing here in the US to improve their products.  And yes, they do manufacture rails and other parts for some companies, however, it may not be designed by them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a video of a beta rail at the shot show this year.  (fast forward to 2:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J5FWZ-mw38
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
so.. i have not had a chance to look at it real life, and i was dying to find out how it is.
i ended up ordering one.

btw.. if you had made your judgement about  this particular product to be inferior, you probably should just move on..  

it was like $80 and change.. forget exactly.

came with the ugly heavy rail protectors.. 16 of them.. i am not too fond of these.. but's it's do able.

this is the part that really got me interested.  the attachment looks pretty robust in the ad.. and it indeed looked good.

it's not as narrow as my DD omega, but close..  i did not weigh it

side by side

the attachment looked pretty robust.  there is staked in cam pin and 6 additional bolts.. i am using 4.

i am taking off the trx extreme to put this UTG on it.. (only goes you show you how much i like it so far)

top view of omega and UTG from top.  no doubt, DD is much pettier..

front view

side by side with trx extreme  

photo of barrel nutz.. left to right.  UTG>TRX>regular milspec(bravo)

the barrel nut is super easy with my wrench

the holes work so perfectly

one more side by side

with barrel installed on the UTG (middle)

photo of the train(wtf? what's train bolt how that word get in there?) bolts.. (4 all together +2 cam bolts inside)

it's rock solid

installed

how the left side is bolted down with the anti-rotation piece.  

there is a maybe 1/16" gap between the rail and receiver.. but i don't care about that.  note the big gouge on my receiver rail.. i don't care about that either :)

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
make sure you keep us updated on how it works out.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't UTG Airsoft?  Why would you install parts on your rifle designed to be used on toy rifles?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Isn't UTG Airsoft?  Why would you install parts on your rifle designed to be used on toy rifles?

it's because my trx extreme was just too good for me and my rifle.. you know.. i am not worthy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's because my trx extreme was just too good for me and my rifle.. you know.. i am not worthy.

UTG is airsoft correct?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG is airsoft correct?

no that is incorrect.  some UTG is airsoft.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
so far.. it's almost as light as my DD and Trx.. so that's good.

but i wish it was more narrow like DD.. but it's one of the narrower ones i have used.    TRX has been ok (even though it broke on me once), but  turns out i miss having rails everywhere.. and when i put the small detachable rail on TRX ex., it feels unnaturally weighted.. maybe because the trx rail pieces are so heavy?  i tried some rails from magpul, but didn't like the way it fit in the 'round' profile.

in the end, i decided to toss the trx ex into a pile of tried out stuff..  

the UTG feels super robust at the install point.. i am really digging it.  i am not really sure if i will go back to my DD Omega on my SBR.. it feels like it can take some serious abuse..

maybe after few weeks.. i will itch from something else.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I glanced over their website and they also have scopes that look just like Aimpoint and Leupold for a fraction of the price
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Where did you order it from?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#21]
amazon.. but i think they have it at optics planet also (i dislike optics planet)
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG is airsoft correct?

Some Magpul is airsoft too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Do these sport the nasty cheese grater feel of the older ones. I know rails are not smooth but damn, those drew blood voraciously.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#24]
The U.S.A. made Pro Series has much better finish. UTG moved the operation to the U.S. to have better QC on these.
By the way, mine is still doing fine.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

UTG entered the market with Airsoft and still makes Airsoft accesories. They owe no appology for that.
Then they started the UTG line to be used on real weapons. Now we have the UTG Pro Series made in the U.S. which is another step in progress.
What I have noticed about them is they are listening to what the customer wants. I and others always complained about the width and weight of the hand guards. So now we have the latest offering.
I was pretty impressed with the test model I received. Especially for the price.
Funny thing about the hand guards. Some always complain about them, usually guys that have never and won't own a set. And that is their decision. But I think I've only read one complaint about actual breakage and that was a stripped screw.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Dupe
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Honest question -

Will these rails accept a KAC VFG?  The way the rails are "scooped out" makes me think not.  

The Surefire M73 rails have similar channels cut in their rails, and I didn't like them on them either, and Surefire is a company I would buy faithfully from.  And IIRC, Surefire at least had the good sense not to do so on the bottom rail.  

Given that some of the best mounts like LaRue's use a "block" that engages the center of the rail and are not crossbolt designs makes me leery of rails that try to cut material out of the rails themselves to "save weight."  It's not, IMHO, the place to do it.  Even if mounts like the LT would "work," it's still not the best idea to remove 90% of the bearing surface considering the abuse some rifles are expected to take.  Which, begs the question - do we not hear as much about UTG failures because they're really rock solid?  Or because the types of people that use their equipment to failure and beyond aren't using UTG rails?  I don't have an answer for that, I'm unwilling to be the guinea pig - even if I'm not always using my gear to failure.  

Maybe some of that *is* unwarranted snobbishness because of the former reputation of the company's airsoft stuff and people trying to use it on real firearms (failures which I have seen first hand) that makes me say I'd rather pay a little bit more and get another brand of rails with a proven pedigree that I won't feel like I'm a guinea pig using.  

Cheers to the people willing to try them and to turn the tides of opinion, but I'm somthing of an old-schooler when it comes to weapon selection and parts - I'm definitely not an "early adopter" when it comes to new weapons technology.  Especially when it's my own money and not the government's.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#28]
i do not know . i use magpul VFG.  

and of course, your reasons are reasonable and it's cool to disagree or be skeptical. nothing wrong with that.

Quoted:
Honest question -

Will these rails accept a KAC VFG?  The way the rails are "scooped out" makes me think not.  

The Surefire M73 rails have similar channels cut in their rails, and I didn't like them on them either, and Surefire is a company I would buy faithfully from.  And IIRC, Surefire at least had the good sense not to do so on the bottom rail.  

Given that some of the best mounts like LaRue's use a "block" that engages the center of the rail and are not crossbolt designs makes me leery of rails that try to cut material out of the rails themselves to "save weight."  It's not, IMHO, the place to do it.  Even if mounts like the LT would "work," it's still not the best idea to remove 90% of the bearing surface considering the abuse some rifles are expected to take.  Which, begs the question - do we not hear as much about UTG failures because they're really rock solid?  Or because the types of people that use their equipment to failure and beyond aren't using UTG rails?  I don't have an answer for that, I'm unwilling to be the guinea pig - even if I'm not always using my gear to failure.  

Maybe some of that *is* unwarranted snobbishness because of the former reputation of the company's airsoft stuff and people trying to use it on real firearms (failures which I have seen first hand) that makes me say I'd rather pay a little bit more and get another brand of rails with a proven pedigree that I won't feel like I'm a guinea pig using.  

Cheers to the people willing to try them and to turn the tides of opinion, but I'm somthing of an old-schooler when it comes to weapon selection and parts - I'm definitely not an "early adopter" when it comes to new weapons technology.  Especially when it's my own money and not the government's.  

~Augee

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#29]
one thing i forgot to mention..  all the photos i saw had shiny black finish (atleast it looked that way).. but it turned out to be flat finish that closely matches my PSA upper receiver.

btw. .i hate the teflon like dark semi gloss finish.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I use TD QD vert grips. I've not had a problem but I agree, at least on the bottom rail, it could be left solid. I'll bring that to their attention.
So far as using in the field, I did use a set of first gen UTG rails for 9 months on my every day carbine. They were wide and heavy. I never use the supplied rail covers. Useless for me. I use ladder covers. But I never had a failure movement or breakage with the hand guards. I ran a vert grip, TLR 2, and an M.I. QD sling attachment.
I gave them to a friend of mine after I was through with them and he is still using them, but not on a duty rig.

I still use DD on my serious rifles and recommend for a work rifle, get the best, battle proved gear that you can.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG is airsoft correct?

Negative.  Magpul licensed UTG to make replicas of some of their products for use on airsoft guns.  UTG is made by Leapers.  Of course we all know that Leapers is super high quality stuff, just like Tapco.

To be fair though, UTG has evolved as their premium product line.  The parts certaily aren't top shelf, but they are a cost effective alternative for some.  No way in hell would I put it on a duty weapon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#32]
yes, i have doubts as well.. i think one would be dumb not to be skeptical.. specially when higher price ones fail as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]

1811guy

Actually there is MAGPUL airsoft stuff....MAGPUL PTS.

http://www.magpul-pts.com/

Mark
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UTG is airsoft correct?

Negative.  Magpul licensed UTG to make replicas of some of their products for use on airsoft guns.  UTG is made by Leapers.  Of course we all know that Leapers is super high quality stuff, just like Tapco.

To be fair though, UTG has evolved as their premium product line.  The parts certaily aren't top shelf, but they are a cost effective alternative for some.  No way in hell would I put it on a duty weapon.

Link Posted: 11/2/2011 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#34]
A lot of the PTS stuff is sold on Ebay. Buyer beware when the Magpul stuff over there is priced "too good to be true".
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Please elaborate. I do testing for some UTG stuff and this is the first I've heard of UTG making Magpul Airsoft. Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]
shot about a 100 rounds to sight it in today. all good.

i gave about 15 good whacks with my rubber mallet left to right then left to right at the muzzle end of the rail.  sight stayed zero.  rail did not move, rotate, break or bend.  (just anecdotal thing to put my own mind at ease..LOL)

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Please elaborate. I do testing for some UTG stuff and this is the first I've heard of UTG making Magpul Airsoft. Just curious.

Hey Dave, while at it, how about putting a bug in UTG's ear to ditch the heavy rail covers and maybe substitute with a ladder (maybe even adopt the Surefire profile considering the new rail design).

As for the rail, I think it is a big step forward from before and I am also glad to see at least 1 company bringing jobs back to the US market.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I hate those rail covers from UTG. Couldn't tell you how many I've thrown away.
I'll pass it on.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#39]
yah me too.. they make them so damn ugly, heavy, and just un-attractive.

i like my magpul ladders best.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
For 80 bucks and the positive review I might be the Guinea Pig and get one. Actually looks pretty good too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't like rails on my rifles, nothing against rails I just don't need all that rail space. Sold my Spikes SAR after only two trips to the range. But this rail looks pretty good at that price point. If I needed an affordable option for what ever reason I would look into these. Hell for the price why not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]
If you do, let us know if you find any problems with it. I've been pretty rough with mine and have no issues.
I have the rifle length and while I didn't weigh it(no scales) it is very light weight.I combined that with a .625 barrel and had a fairly light 16" carbine.
Dave N
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you do, let us know if you find any problems with it. I've been pretty rough with mine and have no issues.
I have the rifle length and while I didn't weigh it(no scales) it is very light weight.I combined that with a .625 barrel and had a fairly light 16" carbine.
Dave N

Will do. I have a 16" DD Mid Length barrel in my parts box I could use. Also have a 19.5" pencil in there that might be interesting to use.

Link Posted: 11/4/2011 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#44]
link on amazon I can't find the new ones. Rifle length 12" quad rail.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Huh. Wouldja look at that

Well, I'm glad to see that UTG is stepping up their game. REALLY glad they have products made in America now.

One of the biggest criticisms of AR15.com on "other" websites is that we're a "hobby" site. Which I have no problem admitting. Tons of guys get ARs just for fun, or weekend shooting.  And if you are a hobbyist, i see no problem buying an economical quad-rail to add cool toys to your hobby gun.

I have no issue with cheap rails as long as people go in with the realization that hobby parts/guns aren't the same as "duty" weapons.
Link Posted: 11/5/2011 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 5:37:21 AM EDT
[#48]
From UTG Site:

Detail Information:
   •  Made in USA 13" Free Float Quad Rails for Full-length AR15
•  Accommodates Low-profile Gas Block
•  Slim Profile and Ultra Lightweight Design
•  Solid Aircraft Aluminum Construction with Hard Anodizing
•  Precision Machined and Torture Tested for Max Durability
•  Un-impeded Top Rail Platform Consistent with Flat Top Rails
•  Complete with Universal QD Swivel Housing
•  Includes 20PCs Rail Coversbr>

NOTE: This quad rail system is designed to fit with standard AR15 gas tube. The compatibility with any special piston system is not guaranteed.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#49]
What is the inner diameter of these rails?

I want it to accommodate my YHM 762 SS Phantom suppresser which is 1.625 in diameter

What about the older versions that are for sale everywhere?

Finally, on UTG's "extended carbine rails" that have the A2 FSB cutout....How long is the "extended" piece in front of the FSB?...I have an 11.5" carbine upper, and have the YHM QD mount attached...will this work with the suppressor attached??

Thanks,

~WTS
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#50]
1.26"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top