Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2011 12:00:19 AM EDT
UPDATE:

I purchased the Magpul PRS but not the kit needed for when I remove my collapsible stock. Brownells has it for $38. I thought it was more expensive and a friend told me he has lots of parts and has changed stocks, but for this price I'll get them new.

QUESTION: Is the Brownell part # 080-000-554 (click for link) perfectly fine to use? Product SPECS: Receiver Extension & A2 Stock Spacer – Aluminum, anodized, matte black. Recoil Buffer – Aluminum and steel. Spring, Lock Ring, Receiver Plate – Steel. Kits fit standard, mil-spec AR-15/M16/M4 lower receiver and clones. Installation instructions included.

Or, given the PRS stock, is there a buffer kit that is upgraded with tighter tolerances and less recoil for use with my AR15?

Also, I have the Magpul ASAP sling attachment installed now. Although I will rarely, if at all, shoot this in a carbine class, can that remain in the new stock configuration as a single-point sling mount?

Specs on my carbine
Bushmaster Gas Piston Carbine
Daniel Defense Handguard
Yankee Hill Suppressor
4K-5K rds a year

In all likelihood this stock will end up on a rifle build in a year or two, so if a better buffer is available I'd rather spend a few extra dollars.

Thanks again,
Walsh

ORIGINAL MESSAGE

I was shooting on Sunday at the range and a guy near me was putting .308 rounds from a new DPMS with a bull barrel essentially into nickels and dimes groupings at 100 yds. He fired my Bushmaster AR15 with a Geisselle trigger and the groups were not quite as good. He said that another thing I had to do was get rid to the collapsible stock and get a non-collapsible one, or go with a high end stock that was rigid.

Does that sound like a good idea and would one consideration be the Magpul Stock PRS Gen II for the AR15/M16 that would drop-in? I like the fact that as opposed to a solid stock, it has cheek adjustments as well as a bit of length adjustment to it.

Also, at Magpul it reads, "Note: The PRS requires a Rifle Receiver Extension tube, Rifle Buffer and Spring".

Do I already have all those components on my Bushmaster Gas Piston model AR by way of the standard collapsible stock? It's the standard cheapo ones they have on most ARs sold as basic.

Thanks in advance,
Walsh
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Look in to the UBR perhaps?  Comes with every thing you need except the buffer and spring.  

Sir James...
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If your rifle has a collapsible stock, you will need to get the rifle length buffer, buffer tube and spring if you go with the PRS. Once you add all those in, including the stock, you'll be spending a lot of money on something that may not give you the results you're looking for.

I may be wrong but it sounds like you have a carbine. The PRS is also generally meant for precision rifles (hence the name...), but you can do whatever you want.

Another route you may want to look into is the magpul CTR. It has the friction lock, which supposedly reduces that wobble you may have in your stock now.

link
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Dan and James,

Yes, it's a carbine and I usually benchrest shoot it with a suppressor. So I'm thinking that the PRS and the UBR with the 1 pound+ increase is also going to be a big benefit sitting in a rear sandbag as opposed to the CTR. Does that make sense?

Also, is the UBR as solid as the PRS as it appears to have a greater range of adjustment. I'm 6'2" with a 35" sleeve, so I have a consideration of length of pull. A few places are running a 25% off for 24 hours for the Bin Laden killing and I'd like to take advantage of that, particularly since I worked in building #4 for 20+ years. It will remind me of getting the bastard for a few dear friends who never made it home, and one jumped.

So if you had to pick one with the specs I have, could either of you tell me which of the heavier ones (assuming that's correct and a good idea for benchrest) you would lean towards?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
UBR in my opinion would be a better choice for a carbine if you want to go that route.  CTR's lock up tight in 99% of the time and are light.  The PRS is a stock dedicated to a Precision build.  Just remember there are many other factors in shooting quarter size groups at 100 yards just make sure you aren't comparing apples to oranges.  308 is a different beast... yeah I know a rifle is a rifle.  Does the guy hand load...has he worked for months to dial in that rifle.  What trigger is he using.... so much stuff that you could change... tweak....to improve the inherent accuracy of a rifle (inherent accuracy is the base taking the human factor out of it if you could)

Good Luck

Striker071
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the guy hand load...has he worked for months to dial in that rifle.  What trigger is he using.... so much stuff that you could change... tweak....to improve the inherent accuracy of a rifle (inherent accuracy is the base taking the human factor out of it if you could)
Good Luck

Striker071

He hand loaded the ammo, but it was a stock DPMS with a bull barrel that he was shooting for the first time. He's obviously a damn good shooter. Shooting 5 rds of mine it was about a 5/8th" group (55 gr hand loaded) and he loved the Geisselle trigger, but said the stock made it impossible to get a rock solid shoulder and cheek weld.

I'm going to call MagPul when they open soon and speak to their tech department and see what they say.

Thanks,
Walsh

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
The UBR has a very slight longer length of pull.  Keep in mind That you can add a 0.70" buttpad to either to further increase the LOP.  I am 6'11" and I run a PRS with a 1 inch extender, and 0.70" buttpad.

If you're dedicated to bench rest shooting you'll love the PRS, especially with its fat bottom that is easy to manipulate with your non trigger hand.  Although if you were dedicated to bench rest shooting I'd be curious as to why you chose a piston carbine.

I don't own, but have used a UBR.  If I were to be building a carbine and accuracy was important that would be a likely choice for me.

If you want to maintain a collapsible stock with a longer than normal LOP take a look at the Vltor A5 system, or at least its buffer tube.  The tube is longer than normal, and you have to run a special spring/buffer but it gives extra LOP with a collapsible stock.  Thats currently what I have on my carbine.  You could put a CTR on the A5 receiver extension and have a collapsible stock that locks up real right and has additional LOP.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The UBR has a very slight longer length of pull.  Keep in mind That you can add a 0.70" buttpad to either to further increase the LOP.  I am 6'11" and I run a PRS with a 1 inch extender, and 0.70" buttpad.

If you're dedicated to bench rest shooting you'll love the PRS, especially with its fat bottom that is easy to manipulate with your non trigger hand.  Although if you were dedicated to bench rest shooting I'd be curious as to why you chose a piston carbine.

I don't own, but have used a UBR.  If I were to be building a carbine and accuracy was important that would be a likely choice for me.

If you want to maintain a collapsible stock with a longer than normal LOP take a look at the Vltor A5 system, or at least its buffer tube.  The tube is longer than normal, and you have to run a special spring/buffer but it gives extra LOP with a collapsible stock.  Thats currently what I have on my carbine.  You could put a CTR on the A5 receiver extension and have a collapsible stock that locks up real right and has additional LOP.

Well, I bought the gas piston as the only place to shoot it was at an indoor range that was 25 yds. Then I joined a great gun club with a range out to 300 yds. I'm looking into a bolt gun, but that's a different discussion.

So with ammo so expensive, even though I reload, I rarely use the AR on the combat range and while we have many competitions, the AR on the combat range isn't one of them. Plus it's a poor home defense choice given my neighbor's proximity. Ergo, benchrest shooting is its best use.

So, given that the LOP should be workable one way or the other, would you think the PRS would sit tighter in the rear sand bag?

Thanks,
Walsh
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You'd definitely have more surface area on the rear bag with the PRS.  Also, the bottom of the PRS slides off to reveal a picatinny rail where you can bolt on a monopod or whatever you'd like.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You'd definitely have more surface area on the rear bag with the PRS.  Also, the bottom of the PRS slides off to reveal a picatinny rail where you can bolt on a monopod or whatever you'd like.

I purchased the Magpul PRS.

I modified my top post as I have a few new questions as to the receiver extension and the buffer to attach the new stock. Essentially, is there any need to upgrade over what Brownells offers?

Thanks,
Walsh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top