Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 8:52:51 AM EDT
I just ordered and received my BCM M4 upper, but now I am reconsidering.  This will be my first rifle that I am putting together (though I own a bushmaster M4) and decided to order the M4 because I like the weight and look.  Now I realize I may have jumped the gun, and after doing research most here say the mid-length due to the gas tube is more reliable.  Since I have an M4, and want to build the most reliable (and reasonably priced M4) I'm thinking about returning it (just got it yesterday and have not even pinned it to a lower.  I know these upper's are hard to come by, is it really that much of a reliability difference to justify me returning/selling my BCM M4 and trying to find a mid-length?  I really like the light weight of the M4, but admittedly, I have not handled a light barrel middy.  The only mid-length I see in stock is the hammer forged which is $90 more and I'm not sure if that is worth it.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 middy's..

The M4 is just as good in my opinion from the question you are asking....  If you want an M4 you have bought a very good one..YMMV
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with either from Bravo Co.  That having been said, I have a BC midlength which has been 100% reliable.  If I had the money to spend all over again, I'd still get the midlength, but with the lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I just hate to be second guessing myself, and for $400 I don't want to question it.  I want a rifle I can pass down to kids.  I also hate to keep waiting for the items to get in stock, why I mentioned the hammer forged barrel, just don't know if its worth the extra $
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just ordered and received my BCM M4 upper, but now I am reconsidering.  This will be my first rifle that I am putting together (though I own a bushmaster M4) and decided to order the M4 because I like the weight and look.  Now I realize I may have jumped the gun, and after doing research most here say the mid-length due to the gas tube is more reliable.  Since I have an M4, and want to build the most reliable (and reasonably priced M4) I'm thinking about returning it (just got it yesterday and have not even pinned it to a lower.  I know these upper's are hard to come by, is it really that much of a reliability difference to justify me returning/selling my BCM M4 and trying to find a mid-length?  I really like the light weight of the M4, but admittedly, I have not handled a light barrel middy.  The only mid-length I see in stock is the hammer forged which is $90 more and I'm not sure if that is worth it.  Thanks for the help.

No.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bravo has the 14.5 light wt middie standard in stock

I'd get a return authorization and trade that M4 in on one ...be sure to get the flash hider of your choice pinned on if you do ....

Why? ..imo the 14.5 light wt is just a tad handier...if that means anything to your needs/wants...and it sounds as though you really want one anyway so you may as
well get it now while you can still exchange yours at Bravo rather than waiting and then losing even more money trying to sell yours and buying a middie...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Good point, I really hate returning things, but may on this.  I bought it from G&R Tactical and know I may get hit with that 15% restocking fee; or I may just try to sell it here as it has only been out of the box and looked at.  I'll see how things work out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good point, I really hate returning things, but may on this.  I bought it from G&R Tactical and know I may get hit with that 15% restocking fee; or I may just try to sell it here as it has only been out of the box and looked at.  I'll see how things work out.

A 15% hit would suck on an un-mounted still in the box upper

Another nice thing about buying from Bravo Company direct...I have had buyer's remorse on a couple of things after something else came out I wanted more...and Paul
let me send my purchase back for a trade in....cost me shipping that was all no return fee...

Hell there are some dealers who will hit you with a re-stocking fee for canceling an order even though they've sent no merchandise

Point being Bravo is top notch in my book....

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#8]
It does suck, well I may talk to G&R and if I state I'm going to buy another more expensive upper maybe he'll just let me pay the return shipping.  Or sell it and still take a little hit, and if all else fails, I"ll just keep it and build it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]
In my humble opinion, you are way over thinking this, but go ahead and get the mid length if that will give you a peace of mind.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Worst case scenario is that if you keep the M4 upper you will still have an excellent upper. The middy will shoot a little softer but either one will be reliable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my humble opinion, you are way over thinking this, but go ahead and get the mid length if that will give you a peace of mind.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input and yes, I think to hard about things, but I went ahead and got a mid-length, light weight 16'' hammer forged BCM since G&R was willing to waive the 15% restocking fee since I was purchasing something else.  They are good people to deal with (as I had many questions).  I am going to ship the M4 back, unless someone from here wants it for $399 as they are out of stock new.  Thanks again for all of the help, and I will hopefully get this build underway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top