Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2011 1:57:18 PM EDT
So, I'm going to be converting my 16" BCM middy with a standard front sight and a DD Omega 9 rail to use a 12" either DD lite or Omega X (I think these are the lightest available FF 12" rails). I don't know anything about gas blocks...what one should I use or should I just cut down my front sight? Is there any pros or cons either way? Any gas blocks better than others? School me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do not need rails on all four sides, look at DD's MFR 12.0.

If this is a working carbine, then I recommend a pinned gas block.  As your barrel has the std. FSB, unless you want the front part to show, either get the LaRue GB and have it pinned, or cut down your existing one.  It is not hard to do. Just make sure you cold blue, or use High Temp Paint, to cover up the bare metal.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, it seems like the simple way to do it is to cut my sight down. Will there be any issue with it fitting under a DD rail? Also will I need to remove it to install the rail or will the new barrel nut fit over the cut down front sight?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yea, it seems like the simple way to do it is to cut my sight down. Will there be any issue with it fitting under a DD rail? Also will I need to remove it to install the rail or will the new barrel nut fit over the cut down front sight?

No, there will be no issues for a cut FSB fitting under the tube.  Do not know about having to remove it in order to fit the new barrel nut.

E-mail or IM DD here.  User Name: Marler5811

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You will have to remove it if you go with the lite it uses a different barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to keep everything simple, you could go with a Centurion Arms C4 rail. It retains the factory barrel nut for an easy install. I've read nothing but good things about this rail. There's a thread on it at TOS with pictures and feedback.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut down your front sight...save some money and its got two pins into your barrel...no reason to futz with anything else...

-imo
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Just cut, sand, and paint. Its easy. Plus I agree about 12" of quad rail being excessive. Customizable is the away to go!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea, I just started looking into the Troy TRX, the Apex riflelength, and the Sampson EVO. They look lightweight and I can just put what I need on them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
While I prefer a pinned low-profile gas block or a shaved FSB, I'll point out that BCM builds uppers using a low-pro gas block secured by set screws. You never hear of them breaking loose & spinning around, and those who go to remove them usually note how much of a pain in the ass it is to accomplish.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got the Troy TRX Extreme. Do I need to take off the FSB to get on the new barrel nut?
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:53:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just got the Troy TRX Extreme. Do I need to take off the FSB to get on the new barrel nut?

Yes, you do.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top