Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 12:02:35 AM EDT
Hey guys...I just got my AR10 back from the gunsmith with a newly installed Daniel Defense LiteRail. After further looking at it. I took the carry handle off and immediately noticed this....

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/tcoche/photo3-1.jpg
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv286/tcoche/photo4.jpg

is that really how it is?? Do you think he installed it incorrectly?? what gives??

by the way it is a DPMS LR308 AP4

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure doesn't look right to me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely is not right. Where did you buy the rails? Something is not within spec.

ETA: I have not owned a DD rail yet. Although it from my understanding the rails are supposed to line up.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#3]
That cant be right.  Should be able to loosen it up and adjust it so it sits right.
Use your carry handle to keep the rail lined up with your upper.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#4]
it looks like the screws might not be in correctly. stickman's DD lite installation page (which i used for reference when installing mine) clearly shows and states that "The top and middle sets of screws are installed from the rear of the weapon, while the bottom screws install from the front."

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1-Daniel-Defense-Lite-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review

about three quarters of the way down there is a picture which shows how the screws are supposed to be oriented.

i'm not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, however. the collar can only work one way, since the gas tube has to go through the hole at the top/center.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#5]
The DD site says you have to choose the correct barrel nut for the rifle.  Could that be the problem?   It is a 7.62 rail correct? (stupid question, I know)
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Rail height for .308 ARs aren't standardized. I believe DPMS changed rail heights again recently and they won't line up properly with handguards designed for the old spec.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it looks like the screws might not be in correctly. stickman's DD lite installation page (which i used for reference when installing mine) clearly shows and states that "The top and middle sets of screws are installed from the rear of the weapon, while the bottom screws install from the front."

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1-Daniel-Defense-Lite-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review

about three quarters of the way down there is a picture which shows how the screws are supposed to be oriented.

i'm not sure if that has anything to do with your problem, however. the collar can only work one way, since the gas tube has to go through the hole at the top/center.

The top screws are definitely in backwards.  IIRC, the bolt down plate is not even threaded in the middle and top holes.  My advice-remove top screws and loosely reinstall in the correct direction.  Back off the other four screws and realign the rail with the upper-preferably with a detachable carry handle bridged between the rail and UR to keep everything lined up.  Tighten down all screws according to instructions from DD or Stick's page.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The new DPMS .308 upper receiver rails are 0.060" lower than EVERYONE elses.  There are a few companies supposedly coming out with DPMS specific rails.  The other solution is buy an original height upper from Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rail height for .308 ARs aren't standardized. I believe DPMS changed rail heights again recently and they won't line up properly with handguards designed for the old spec.

Wow.  That's a bummer for this guy.  Not to mention that NO buis set ups would work on this either.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
You just gotta love DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, to me, it is about like Armalite getting away from the orignal SR25-style .308 mags.

DPMS' logic was so they could use the normal AR15 front sight/gas block.  Before, the receiver rail was .060" too high in relation to the front sight.

Any more, most custom builds use a low-profile gas block and a long rail, so it is not an issue.  I think DPMS made a big mistake.  Large-frame ARs would benefit by becoming more standardized, not less so.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#12]
well I ended up returning the DD literail back to DD. They are going to refund all my money. I did find and purchase this rail from Troy. It is the 12'' model and by the looks of it. I may like this rail better. I love the idea of adding the rails for accessories where needed. It does come with 3 rails. I obviously purchased the LP version. With the money I saved on the literail vs the Troy rail, I purchased a Harris bipod and a YHM bipod mount for the rail. Also, today I was in an ordering frenzy so I ordered up 2 magpul PMAGS and the magpul mbus front and rear flip up sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top