Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2011 8:00:56 PM EDT
Ordering the the barrel this week and trying to make my mind up on which barrell.  DD w/LP is $312 and the Noveske should be about $380-$390.  $70 dollar difference isn't a big deal to me so price doesn't matter between the two.  Non full auto for now but hopefully in the near future, the rest of the ar is high end build.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What role do you envision the gun serving?

A noveske ss barrel will likely be more accurate, but for a 12.5" AR I'll take the lighter barrel that should last for more rounds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as lasting more rounds that doesn't bother me after reading the post by Bigbore and the SS barrell he tortured for 18 months with full auto dumps regularly.  Probably will not wear out the barrell nor could I probably get all the accruacy from the DD.  Will have a suppessor on most of the time, can't see where that would matter though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I would take the DD and save the weight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
How much weight would it save?
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What role do you envision the gun serving? ss barrel will likely be more accurate, but for a 12.5" AR I'll take the lighter barrel that should last for more rounds.

A Both Polygonal rifling and SS tends to have higher velocity so you might get back a little of what you're losing with the short barrel. Also get the switch block for when you get your can.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What role do you envision the gun serving?

A noveske ss barrel will likely be more accurate, but for a 12.5" AR I'll take the lighter barrel that should last for more rounds.

I've owned both.  I bought the Noveske 12.5" first, had issues with a suppressor, and got a Daniel Defense 12.5" for a lot less.

I sold the Noveske 12.5" and have no regrets in doing so.  It's a very smooth shooter, a machining work of art, and very accurate, but I don't view a slight increase in accuracy as an acceptable compromise for a significant reduction in reliability.
I no longer see a need for proprietary chambers in a non-600 yard AR, nor do I believe that a direct impingement AR-15 should have an adjustable gas block (such as the Switchblock).  

Pistons can make sense for suppressed SBRs.  If you're going to complain about the extra weight of the piston system, and shoot it suppressed, how about the extra pound hanging off the end of your muzzle?

I'd also look at the 11.5" BCM "BFH" barrel.

Link Posted: 2/24/2011 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

only HITS  count

not how many more ounces it weighs...

Accuracy trumps weight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

only HITS  count

Accuracy trumps weight.

If you can't get your hits with the CL DD barrel then you probably won't get any hits with the Noveske barrel either. Go for the lighter chrome lined barrel. It will have all the practical accuracy you need but will be lighter and easier to maintain.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only HITS  count

Accuracy trumps weight.

If you can't get your hits with the CL DD barrel then you probably won't get any hits with the Noveske barrel either. Go for the lighter chrome lined barrel. It will have all the practical accuracy you need but will be lighter and easier to maintain.

Yep.

The Noveske weighs 26 ounces, and the DD 12.5" weighs 21.  The DD will also withstand more abuse.  Plus, it's over $150 cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only HITS  count

Accuracy trumps weight.

MADNESS!
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
"easier to maintain "

" withstand more abuse"

please explain ––I am a Crusader  kinda guy and am starting to feel offended!

-seriously.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only HITS  count

Accuracy trumps weight.

Yep.

The Noveske weighs 26 ounces, and the DD 12.5" weighs 21.  The DD will also withstand more abuse.  Plus, it's over $150 cheaper.

It's only $70 dollars cheaper but I gonna go with a DD, come on tax money  
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"easier to maintain "

" withstand more abuse"

-seriously.....

A quality hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel should easily last 30,000 rounds- see Pat Rogers' "Filthy 14" test of a BCM CHF upper.  

People were screaming for Noveske to make an N4 Light version of the Crusader, and those cries were ignored.  Enter Daniel Defense, Centurion, and BCM.......

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"easier to maintain "

" withstand more abuse"

-seriously.....

A quality hammer-forged chrome-lined barrel should easily last 30,000 rounds- see Pat Rogers' "Filthy 14" test of a BCM CHF upper.  

People were screaming for Noveske to make an N4 Light version of the Crusader, and those cries were ignored.  Enter Daniel Defense, Centurion, and BCM.......

ok, I am not going to say anything about CHF ––I am sure  it is nice...

but as far as implying the Crusader is hard to maintain, or cannot withstand abuse - is simply BS.

I think it was big Bore who put to rest the SS barrel longevity questions and the crusader has a great contour ––heavy enuf to withstand whatever ––

and as far as "hard to maintain"––-uhh ––it is stainless after all!

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Unless that extra 1/2" MOA is an absolute must, go with the Daniel Defense barrel.  Check out centurion's lightweight offering as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"easier to maintain "

" withstand more abuse"

-seriously.....

Looks like Noveske just answered this as I got an email about it this past weekend.

12.5 light Crusader
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"easier to maintain "

" withstand more abuse"

-seriously.....

Looks like Noveske just answered this as I got an email about it this past weekend.

12.5 light Crusader

good for them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#18]
DD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top