Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 9:46:24 AM EDT
I own a Fulton Armory Titan (18.5 barrel).  The forearm that came on it appears to be a YHM customizable.  It came with a full-length 12 o'clock rail and short rails at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock.

Recently, I mounted a Harris bipod to the 6 o'clock rail using a YHM bipod adapter.  After limited shooting in a single range session, the rail broke loose.  The front screw had come out and would not re-tighten.  I reinstalled it with locktite and a new screw and it broke loose again.  

So I bought a longer picatinny rail from Fulton and installed it.  I hoped the added mounting holes would give more strength.  Now the first, as well and the second, screws will not tighten.  After close inspection, it appears that the screws are fine, but the screw holes are both stripped.  

Could I rotate the rail 90 degrees and remount the bipod?  You can see in the attached photo that there is a fair amount of exposed threading left.

Is this forearm meant to handle the recoil of a .308 on a bipod?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

JR
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
There should be a larger hole for a bi-pod stud they cost 2 bucks from midway. You can swap over to that or rotate the rail. If it happened on the 2 screws then there is a chance that it will happen again. Call YHM see what they say about it.

MAHA
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
I put an e-mail into YHM and Fulton to see what their suggestions are.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're just talking about a rail section I would just get a longer screw, run it through, and put a nut on it from the inside.

Um, something doesn't seem right about the scope/rifle mix...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I hadn't even thought about putting a nut on the inside.  I'll have to try that.

I pulled this scope of a .233.  I'm trying it on this rifle for now to see how I like it.  I'm considering a M-223 with BDC for this rifle.  If they made a M-308, I'd consider it.  With the 1/4 MOA elevation clicks of the BDC version, I can customize it for my loads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
They make a Monarch with a mil-dot (like the m-223 should have been offered with NIKON!) and probably a BDC calibrated closer to 308, and I think they have other turrets you can order too.

Nice rifle by the way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the compliment!  
I would prefer a mil-dot, actually.  Still struggling over what scope to get next.  I put a MagPul ACS on this rifle now.  Just want a different scope.
...and a bipod that doesn't snap off.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top