Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2011 7:42:47 PM EDT
im looking for better long rang accuracy in my AR,woud a free float rail make a difference?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, an uninterrupted barrel is more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It negates external influences of pressure or force on the barrel, so in effect, you have nothing that can affect your point of impact/ point of aim like using a sling would with the old sling attachment point or how placing the barrel/ handguards directly on an object for support would affect bullet placement. With the use of a free float rail, it negates those type of influences...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be using a bipod
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I will be using a bipod

If it's on the rail you are good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont know how much money you want to spend, but Daniel Defense omega rails are very nice. I just got one and it was a cinch to put on, and it is free floating.
Good news is you do not have to alter the rifle, no cutting off delta rings or removing barrel etc...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will be using a bipod

If it's on the rail you are good.
Free float barrels are wonderful things despite their costs .

If the bipod is attached the old fashioned way (G.I. attached below the FSB) , you can expect shifts in POI . The idea of the free float rail is consistency. Eliminate as many variables as possible that would affect the barrel to change your point of impact. Attachments to the free float rail, instead of the barrel itself, or anything that exerts pressure on the barrel, will do that.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks,I have converted my 16" Bushmaster to a flattop ,added a scope,going to get a free float rail, and hoping for much better results at 100+ yards
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The Omega rail is really hard to beat. Just replace the handgaurds with the two-piece free float rail, make a few adjustments to the set screws and you are good to go. Minimal muss and fuss to havea quality FF rail.

ETA: meant to say Omega instead of Omega X (don't have one of these but I'm sure its nice)
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Since you guys are talking about the Omega rail, I have a question for you.  What is exactly holding the Omega rail onto my rifle?  I have both the Omega X (with the proprietary barrel nut) and the plain old Omega (that attaches to the existing barrel nut).  Both of them came with four teeny weenzy screws at the end of the rail.  Don't tell me that the rail is actually being held onto the rifle by those diminutive screws?  I am used to non free floating rails, so please pardon my ignorance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Stickman instructions

That's pretty much it. You screw those four in till you get enough resistance that you don't want to strip out the inside of those torque screws. The Delta ring is doing its part also but those screws you use to adjust it straight and tighten it down. It really is that easy to install.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
im looking at the yh diamond spector length
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stickman instructions

That's pretty much it. You screw those four in till you get enough resistance that you don't want to strip out the inside of those torque screws. The Delta ring is doing its part also but those screws you use to adjust it straight and tighten it down. It really is that easy to install.

Thanks, Kihn!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top