Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 10:59:45 AM EDT
bout to pull the trigger on a stock for my build... As the stock i currently am running on it just isn't heavy enough... my balance is pretty bad.

I currently have -

18" heavy profile SS barrel
13" VTAC Extreme rail
Harris Bipod - don't have yet but i figure i should plan for the weight.
No Scope yet, still undecided, leaning towards an Accupoint in 3-9x

Then on the back end i am running an EMOD.  

So i think i want to get a heavier stock... I had pretty much sold myself on the idea of a PRS, but i saw some pics of similar setups with a UBR and i like the looks of it.  Not to mention im thinking that an UBR would be better for shooting offhand?  I plan on shooting my time about half prone half offhand if for no other reason than just because.  

So anyone with similar situations?  

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
If you had said you were running a med. or SPR profile barrel I'd of said UBR, but with an HBAR I think the PRS will suit better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a UBR on my 18" LaRue, and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you had said you were running a med. or SPR profile barrel I'd of said UBR, but with an HBAR I think the PRS will suit better.

My thoughts exactly.  I have a 18" mid weight and it is perfect with a UBR.  Unless the OP ever plans on reprofiling the barrel to mid weight, I would go with the PRS

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If your rifle mission is essentially as a precision rifle shot mostly from prone or other supported positions, then the PRS is a good choice.

If it's an all-purpose/multi-purpose rifle then the UBR will be more adaptable and usable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your rifle mission is essentially as a precision rifle shot mostly from prone or other supported positions, then the PRS is a good choice.

If it's an all-purpose/multi-purpose rifle then the UBR will be more adaptable and usable.

Thats what im thinking... I mean i do have my 14.5 middy that is an all around beater.  But i can't carry both rifles at the same time now can i?  So I like to keep versatility at all times.  I think I am definitely leaning towards the UBR now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
On 18" you could go either way. I have the PRS on my 20". I would lean toward getting the
UBR on an 18" especially if you want adjustable length stock and want to keep it compact.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Sopmod for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Disclaimer:  I don't own either stock ... yet.  

That said, if I were looking to put a stock on an 18" setup the choice would be between the UBR and the Vltor A5.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]

BCM 18" SPR

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The UBR looks awesome...but, then again this one on BCM's website w/a PRS looks dam good as well!

Flip a coin?

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok...

So you PRS users... is the length of pull you set for prone workable offhand?  And vice-versa?  Im thinking that if i am going to be switching back and forth between prone and offhand its going to be a pain in the ass to keep on adjusting the stock.  Thoughts?

And how about cheek weld on either?  My EMOD and IMOD have spoiled me in the cheekweld department... my EMOD is like a big fluffy pillow that yanks my facial hair from time to time I don't mind the loss of hair because of the fantastic cheekweld.  So how does the UBR and PRS compare to each other in the cheekweld department?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I have handled both extensively. i puchased a UBR about 6 months ago for a carbine and really like it. I just have not convinced myself to do a PRS..
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Both are too damn heavy for a rifle intended for serious use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#14]
My two favorite stocks are the Vltor Imod for lightweight / regular carbines and the UBR for anything with any amount of weight on the front of the rifle.

For my 18" I went UBR and couldn't be happier:

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
We have similar ideas. I have a 18" Saber Defense fluted stainless upper I am changing around. I have a FDE 13" Troy TRX in the mail as well as a FDE PRS on it's way. I have 2 UBR's on other guns and was debating on the UBR or PRS on this. I figure I would give the PRS a try as I am mainly planning on making this a bench or prone shooting gun. If I were going to be carrying the gun around a lot I would have chose the UBR. I expect to get the rail tomorrow(I hope) and the stock should be here Monday. I will get some pics and put them up so you can at least see what the setup would look like.

I could also note that I swapped the UBR and a red dot from this gun to another gun to make the above setup.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We have similar ideas. I have a 18" Saber Defense fluted stainless upper I am changing around. I have a FDE 13" Troy TRX in the mail as well as a FDE PRS on it's way. I have 2 UBR's on other guns and was debating on the UBR or PRS on this. I figure I would give the PRS a try as I am mainly planning on making this a bench or prone shooting gun. If I were going to be carrying the gun around a lot I would have chose the UBR. I expect to get the rail tomorrow(I hope) and the stock should be here Monday. I will get some pics and put them up so you can at least see what the setup would look like.

I could also note that I swapped the UBR and a red dot from this gun to another gun to make the above setup.

I Like it
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Add some weight to the storage compartments of the EMod, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Batteries work, or if you really want more weight, use lead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#18]
UBR all the way
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Like it

Wow...seeing a side profile looks even better - I like it man, great choice!

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Vltor A5  Vltor Thread
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Update..

went with the UBR.  Should be here in a day or 2!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I couldn't be happier with my PRS. I installed it on my 24" stainless bull barrel with a hogue free float tube. I like the adjustable cheek weld, and butt plate.

4X4SC.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  And with that train of thought, I went with the UBR:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got an 18" Sabre barreled AR and I have an old A1 stock on it.  I've had a PRS on there and an ACS, the A1 just works well for this gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Call me crazy, but I prefer the A2.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Call me crazy, but I prefer the A2.

Thats my problem on my SPR. I really like the features and such on my buddies SPR with the PRS but have no issue with my A2 stocks and cheekweld.
My issue is more with the cost than weight. If they were $100 i would likely have one. I can afford it, its just the fact that I really like my A2 on a full size rifle and im cheap.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#28]
UBR is a full pound heavier than a regular type. This is totally un-needed weight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
UBR is a full pound heavier than a regular type. This is totally un-needed weight.

As noted, I am LOOKING for extra weight to balance the rifle.  Cant take any off the front, so i need to add it to the back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
On an 18 I'd go URB.

The fact that it is an 18 and not a 20 means length was an issue some where.
The URB is shorter.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
On an 18 I'd go URB.

The fact that it is an 18 and not a 20 means length was an issue some where.
The URB is shorter.

Bill

on a 18" (SPR or SPRish) I like either the stock A2 or LMT SOPMOD on a rifle action, now though, I'm trying the new Vltor A5 out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

UBR works great on my 16" POF. PRS works great on my 18.5 SPR

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think people that say this typically have never actually owned and shot carbines with the UBR or the PRS. A lot of competitive shooters, run carbines and rifles with UBRs and PRS stocks and are incredibly fast getting hits, if they were too heavy and slowed them down they wouldn't use them, similarly the modern carbine with a UBR is still a much lighter weapon than the battle rifles generation the M16 replaced, and the next Gen 7.62 battle rifles that are in demand today. I used to carry and hunt with an Lithgow L1A1 (wood furniture and 21" barrel about 9lbs) when I was a 13yr old. I find the UBR balances nicely when used on carbines and equipped as i prefer with longer rails.

I have used many stocks, M4 standard, Vltor Emod, Magpul CTR/ACS/UBR, LMT SOPMOD and I prefer the UBR for balance and cheek weld on most of my ARs.

The 14.5" with Foliage furniture is my wife's carbine...

Cameron

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Add some weight to the storage compartments of the EMod, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Batteries work, or if you really want more weight, use lead.

+1.

Be careful with batteries, as they may leak.  Find a reloader and bum some .45 caliber lead bullets.  You should be able to get around 12-20 bullets in the battery compartments and add roughly 1/2 pound of weight.

If you're so inclined, find a machine shop to turn some tungsten rod for you.  That will minimize empty space in the compartments and it'll be heavier than lead.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The UBR compliments an 18" rifle well.  I specifically got one for my Noveske SPR to balance it out (it was really front heavy).  The PRS would have been too heavy and not as useful IMO.

Link Posted: 2/2/2011 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top