Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2011 7:39:41 PM EDT
What is the advantage or disadvantage to using a side charging upper?   They are kinda interesting looking on a AR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The single most annoying short coming on the AR platform (after the dirt in the DI system) is the charging handle.  Its just in the wrong place. You can not easily operated it without pulling yourself away from the firearm. It works best when pulled directly from the rear (where your cheek is) and works worse when you try to pull it from the side.

So, side charging corrects that...if you can make it work without major changes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd wondered the same.
Then I did a search, and I now have two
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
excuse me, do you mean that you have two side-charge setups? I too am interested in these, would like some input from users of this style charging system. I assume that a different style bolt carrier would be needed?  any other changes, aside from the upper receiver?  new guy here, great forum, Thank you for your time 47knuckle
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]
alright, took my time & did a bunch of searching––––the Alexander Arms  side charge upper looks good––––not sure how it would hold up over the long run. thank you FNG in Wisconsin 47knuckle
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]

A new guy that actually thinks and does a search, go figure.    I like this guy.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=523389&light=
Will it be reliable in the long run?
I can't answer that.  Should last as long as any other billet
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Just thought you might be interested in the American Spirit Arms Side Charger. This is the page for the upper only, but they do sell the upper assembly or complete rifle.
http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_AR_15_M4_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver-38-4.html
There is a new rifle that just hit the market this month, can't remember the name, but its on one of the gun magazines front cover. It has both the rear charging handle and a side charger forward of the upper receiver, non reciprocating.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
LAR grizzly sells them too............................

click here

I've always liked them
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
how about some pics of side charging ar's?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I am interested in one of these also but the cheapest I have found is the MEGA from Rainier Arms, most of the others I have found with very little search time are around the $300 mark.  Does anyone have any experience with the MEGA side chargers?  I figure they are like most of the MEGA products and are gtg.  Any word on machining a standard bcg to accept a side charger handle? Disregard I read thru the post linked above and got the answer I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A new guy that actually thinks and does a search, go figure.    I like this guy.

Ahh, Chargers....   My search for charge, charged and charging yeilded nothing
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, Chargers....   My search for charge, charged and charging yeilded nothing

I can't figure out how I could find SIDE charger and you didn't
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Lucky U.S.
What did that cost?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
$100 - $150.
Its cheaper if you use a 9mm upper, then you don't have to remove the case deflector or forward assist.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top