Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 5:56:06 AM EDT
Looking to cover my gas block with a free float rail.  Money's tight right now and was wondering if any one has used the Yankee Hill rail (looking at the diamond free float) and what you all thought of YH rail systems. Cant beat the price... Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a diamond carbine FF rail.    The edges are a little sharp without covers.   It really doesn't seem all that heavy either.     I love it and would recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My build is still in progress, but I have a YHM Extended Diamond carbine length FF rail on my upper. The extended top rail is almost flush with the upper receiver rail. I had a YHM end cap installed between the front of the rail and the gas block, doesn't really  affect anything, just makes the install look a little cleaner. I think I paid $93 for the forend. Im sure there are people here with way more experience, but I'll be glad to give you more feed back once I get everything installed, finish building it and shoot the thing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  Worst case, I'll end up with a spare fore-end which means another build!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the Specter length YHM rail and I love it.  Great machining quality, rock solid feel and matches the flat top great, no gap at all.  I don't think anyone would be disappointed after getting any YHM rail, go for it!
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend just picked up one of these.  As someone already noted, the edges of the rails are a bit rough –– rail covers will be required, I think.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Others are lighter, but when you look at the mounting system, IMO it is as good as any of the others costing a lot more.

I am looking for another two right now.  I used a Specter length and now need a carbine and mid-length.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The diamond Series are very well made, light, and I really don't think the edges are that sharp.  I suppose covers or ladders would be nice but not required!  Great rail system!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Specter length Diamond Series on my 10.5".  It's a little larger around, but every bit the quality as the LaRue on my 12.5".

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking rig!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
"
My bargain build (16" with rifle length Diamond rail.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I just my YHM-9432A Customizable Free Float Tube - Rifle in the other day I will put the rifle together in a few days.  I love being able to put what rails and where to put them. I hope this helps.

Stone
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used quite a few YHM rials on my builds. Over 10, They are very solid, and I have never had one come loose. My everyday rifle currently has the YHM smooth rail and I am very happy. My only gripe is that it gets very hot in the NV sun! There is no rail section where I hold it, so no rail covers. I use gloves when I plan a long day shooting.

I just ordered 3 more regular carbine rails to have as parts. I just couldn't pass up the price.

Here she is.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Same here, positive experience with my rifle length diamond rail from YHM. Got to shoot it this weekend, putting about 500 rounds through at a fairly rapid pace. I could feel the heat but the rail never got too hot to hold even without gloves. I couldn't say that on the smooth aluminum hard guard that it replaced.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rrKT5Q3JDJ0/TMklTSD9ZzI/AAAAAAAAAhE/JisVDU5fVo8/s1152/MyAR15.png

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Is nobody running their stock front a-frame sight on these diamond rails?

Subscribing in hopes someone will post a pic
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is nobody running their stock front a-frame sight on these diamond rails?

Subscribing in hopes someone will post a pic

Not the diamond YHM but its the lightweight YHM rifle length with A2 fsb.  

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4161/dscn0819e.jpg

Its on my bastard rifle, lower and upper are not going to be together in the end, but it kinda gives you an idea.  I just threw them together for a test/range day after building the lower.  I love the FF so far.  It is made and finished nicely, great price, and the people over at YHM are very nice and helpful.  I think that YHM is a very under rated manufacturer just because their price is lower than the other big names.  From my experience YHM produces stuff with as good if not better quality than stuff twice the price.  That is my opinion though and I'm sure others will disagree.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I would opt for the smooth YHM forearm with the rail the end and top.  I have a rifle length standard rail and it is heavy and sharp as well.  No need for most of the rail on it.  So I would opt for less rail.  

What about your gas block?  Will it fit under a rail?
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I have quite a few sets of YHM forends, including a couple of their Diamond series, and don't find them to be too sharp.  As someone has mentioned, the lockup on YHM rails is as solid as just about any on the market, and offer a lot for the price when compared with LaRue and DD rails.
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I like mine. I have a couple of Troy rails for sale if you are interested.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=814772
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top