Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2010 4:45:58 PM EDT
I would appreciate any direct experience you have with Failzero uppers and bolts, or similar products from any of the other hardfaced AR providers.  If you have used chrome plated or hardfaced parts, please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Ken
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Fail Zero is excellent.

Pop over to their website and read the DoD testing on it.  Its worth every penny.

I currently have 2 of their BCGs, and a Fail Zero coated upper on the way.

I run completely lube free and ive never had a malfunction.  Ill never buy anything else.

In my opinion all the other coatings... ionbond, chrome, np3... whatever... they don't even come close to the functional benefits that the EXO coating gives.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
It's been standard on LWRCs for a while...no problems encountered that I've heard of; everyone seems to like it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my opinion all the other coatings... ionbond, chrome, np3... whatever... they don't even come close to the functional benefits that the EXO coating gives.

MAY I ASK HOW MANY OF THE OTHERS HAVE YOU USED AND TO WHAT EXTENT?

Ive used the hard chromed ones and the standard milspec phosphated.

But i don't need to use the others to know that you STILL have to lube with ionbond and the others.  maybe not as much, but i wasnt under the impression that anyone except fail zero offers a completely lube free setup.

To me... no lube beats lubed any day of the week.  

This goes for fail zero compared to surface treatments that just harden the metal as well.  If your lubricity is high there will be less wear so it trumps that as well.

Not to mention i don't really see the need for an extra metal hardening process on a part that wears out so rarely... how often do you hear about a bcg wearing out or cracking... i mean yes it happens... but unless its a junky part to begin with it has had a long full life already.  The day to day benefit (in my mind at least) of no lube and no malfunctions beats an extended life with having to lube and risking malfunctions.

And once again.. this is just my opinion.  But Im not changing it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the information kickback.  What little feedback I've gotten sounds like yours.  I'm queing up for a FailZero purchase in the near future.

Thanks,
Ken
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My two Ionbond BCGs are very easy to keep clean. I think thats the best advantage. It seems like the carbon doesn't like to build up on them. I still keep them lubed, but even when dry they're much smoother than the stock finish.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking for some kind of relief because using the can really makes things get dirty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking for some kind of relief because using the can really makes things get dirty.

From what i hear, if your shooting suppressed then NiB or IonBond is the way to go.  

I don't use a can so i couldn't tell you about the NiB with it, but I do recall reading a pretty extensive write up on the NiB in conjunction with the can on another forum...

The results were pretty impressive, but then again all the testing and such on the Fail-Zero no matter who does the testing ends up being pretty impressive.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no coating in this world that is EVER going to replace liquid lubricant.

Even Fail Zero equipped guns SHOULD still be lubed.  Ask anyone running one of these bolt carrier or upper receiver groups seriously.  They're still applying a light coat of lubricant to the parts.  The bottom line here is that these coatings reduce friction, they do not eliminate it.  They will allow the rifle to go longer and to be run harder but they are absolutely, not necessary.  If you have the money and you would rather spend it on a coating, go for it.  I personally would rather spend my money on more ammo to shoot more as i know how long and hard i can push my phosphated BCG's.

I really dont understand what everyones gripe is with lube.  Its cheap, it lasts forever if you're using it properly and so long as you KEEP your AR lubed, it will continue to run even with a ridiculous amount of grit introduced into the upper receiver.

I shoot 10k rounds of .223 a year and upwards of 35k of 9mm and im still using a quart of mobile 1 i bought three years ago.  I havent even gone through a third of the bottle yet...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
They get really gunked up after just a few rounds using a can.  Some of the youngsters I know from the sandbox have convinced me to go back to WD-40 which does not gunk like regular oil does.  However, WD 40 doesn't lubricate as well as I'd like so...that's why I am interested in FailZero performance.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Good grief, WD-40? WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. How hard is it to put more lube on your rifle if it malfunctions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They get really gunked up after just a few rounds using a can.  Some of the youngsters I know from the sandbox have convinced me to go back to WD-40 which does not gunk like regular oil does.  However, WD 40 doesn't lubricate as well as I'd like so...that's why I am interested in FailZero performance.

Its hard to SHOW you how well fail zero works without you.

Youtube it.

Read the DoD tests on their website.

ive NEVER heard anyone who actually has used the fail zero say anything but good things about it.

thats about all i can say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top