Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 12:10:08 PM EDT
I'm upgrading the MOE stock on my rifle, but I am undecided on a replacement. I like the look and feel of the MOE, but want the lock up that the CTR gives, but I am now also considering the ACS. I would like to have some battery storage on my rifle, but I don't want to add a lot of bulk and weight. How does the ACS compare to the CTR weight wise?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
ACS, Mil-Spec Carbine Stock (w/ Rubber Butt-Pad, 0.30")

Weight, Stock: 0.86 lb.

Weight, w/ Rec. Extension: 1.16 lb.

CTR, Mil-Spec (w/ Rubber Butt-Pad, 0.30")

Weight, Stock: 0.48 lb.

Weight, w/ Rec. Extension: 0.79 lb.

above from "http://store.magpul.com/"
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I own both and I like both. The ACS has a fantastic cheekweld that is really comfortable. Worth the extra money and weight IMO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
CTR has no storage,,if that is important

ACS is a lot like the LMT SOPMOD,,,great cheekweld,,storage for batteries , bore snake,,whatever.
At a better cost point.

Gave up my CTR got a ACS and love it,other stock is a UBR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Stocks like Pgrips are pretty personal fits....

I really like the ACS stock...prefer it to my UBR (which it replaced) and SOPMOD... on my 6.8 light wt.

I like the CTRs but my wife prefers the VLTOR Imod (and these are nice light wt comfortable stocks) so thats what we went to on her carbines

Ya really have to try them all out to see which ones suits your needs..& your particular rifle....best

imo
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I was a dedicated CTR guy, tried the ACS when it came out, and then went back to the CTR.

The UBR is the ultimate stock, but more expensive and heavier.

The ACS was just too wide for me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#6]
They are 2 pretty different stocks so you need to decide what you are looking for. The CTR will be identical to your MOE but with a tighter lock up. This is a great stock for keeping things simple and light. If you are looking for a stock with a cheekweld and storage then the ACS might be your best bet.

Personally, I've had the MOE, CTR, ACS and SOPMOD. My favorite is the SOPMOD followed by the CTR, ACS and MOE. The CTR will be going on a lightweight/KISS build while the SOPMOD resides on my recce. Like someone else mentioned it boils down to personal preference. Try 'em until you find the one that just plain feels right. Different stocks feel good on certain weapon configurations. You can find all these on the EE for a good price and figure out what you like.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You can store batteries inside a Magpul grip if you don't have it filled with something already.

I have a CTR that I'm happy with and came very close to putting an ACS on a 3-gun build I'm working on.  I ended up with a Vltor Modstock from BCM when they have them on clearance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone try the ACS with a .458 Socom?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I run CTR’s on all of my SBR’s… ACS just doesn’t feel right on the shortys

But for a 16” or 18” the ACS is right at home… defiantly a great cheek weld.

UBR is a great concept, but it’s just too damn heavy for anything other than my SPR with the heavier barrel…

It’s a tough choice man… all 3 are great; I just have different uses for them.

Like this SBR… ACS would be too wide and UBR would completely throw the weight off… so, it gets a CTR.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both stocks and each serves a different purpose. The CTR is light and locks up tight. The ACS is a bit heavier and has a storage advantage. The ACS also affords me an excellent cheek weld. My favorite MagPul stock is the UBR. I used an UBR on my last 16" middy rig. The cheek weld on the UBR is perfect for me. Now, I prefer the UBR over the ACS. I have 2 used ACS stocks laying in my parts bin. That's reason enough to build 2 more rigs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If you do not want to add a lot of weight to your rig go CTR, if you want to have the best cheekweld you've ever felt in your life(IMO) go ACS.  I run ACS on all my guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top