Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 3:37:24 PM EDT
i am having a hard time deciding on a free float tube for a build. its going to be a lightweight dedicated 22 plinker AR. i have most of the parts sorted out, but i am drawing a blank on the free float tube. i dont need rails. it will only have a sling swivel stud on the forearm.

i am trying to find the cheapest, lightest tube i can.

i was considering this one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=551066#productTabReviews

doesnt specify weight, but looks a bit heavy. price is right though.

anyone got suggestions? should i spend a few more bucks for the houge model? seems to be a popular choice in non railed free floats.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=346379

its twice the price. from the pic, it looks like its fairly heavy. anyone use this one before?

anyone got any other suggestions?

thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I understand the Troy and the Viking Tactics TRX rails are the best thing going for what you describe.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:14:28 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're after a plain tube with no rails the carbon fiber Clark is probably going to be the lightest.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither of the two Midway tubes will be particularly light from my recollection.  A Troy TRX Extreme would be - you can usually find them from eBay seller MacnLou for less than $150 shipped.  I know that's more that what you were planning to spend, but they're very light.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I like free float tubes myself and have one of those Model 1 tubes on my beater rifle.  I also have a tube on my SPRish build, but I went with a Bushmaster on that one.  The Bushmaster costs more, but the barrel nut is almost twice as deep as that of the Model 1.  I believe that it makes for a more rigid setup.  The Bushmaster tube is also lighter, but not a robust as the Model 1.  Considering what the Model 1 costs, I'd just try it.

That carbon fiber setup is going to be the lightest, but the reason that it stays cool is that it doesn't conduct, not dissipate heat.  Your barrel is likely going to stay hot for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you're after a plain tube with no rails the carbon fiber Clark is probably going to be the lightest.

I have the Clark Tube on two of my AR's.  Weight is six ounces.  You won't get much lighter than that.

Quoted:

That carbon fiber setup is going to be the lightest, but
the reason that it stays cool is that it doesn't conduct, not dissipate
heat.  Your barrel is likely going to stay hot for a long time.

The tube doesn't get hot.  But there is plenty of airflow.  

The front of the tube is open and the aluminum barrel nut at the rear has plenty of holes to vent heat.

The barrel will cool off in a reasonable amount of time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top