Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 3:42:39 PM EDT
I am looking for a little advice on quad rails. I recently completed my first build, RRA upper/Stag lower, and I am now ready to make another purchase. The next thing I would like to buy is a quad rail, so i can then get a grip pod, but i do not know where to begin. I would like to spend around 150 but i will go higher if it is really worth it. I will mostly be range shooting so i am not looking for the very best, just something light and sturdy. So if i could get some recommendations i would appreciate it. Thanks, Brian.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a Troy MFR-C quad rail on Ebay, for about 180 or so.  I really like it.  It's a free float rail, that replaces the delta ring.  I belive you have to take the barrel off to mount it - my smith did it all for 50 bucks.  

It's rock solid, well made, and also has holes in the rail system for a push pin sling mount, so you don't need a seperate mount.

The Dainel Defense quads are really nice too, and probably lighter than the Troy, but cost more.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I picked up a Troy MFR-C quad rail on Ebay, for about 180 or so.  I really like it.  It's a free float rail, that replaces the delta ring.  I belive you have to take the barrel off to mount it - my smith did it all for 50 bucks.  

It's rock solid, well made, and also has holes in the rail system for a push pin sling mount, so you don't need a seperate mount.

The Dainel Defense quads are really nice too, and probably lighter than the Troy, but cost more.

Thanks for the suggestion. How hard is it to install? Is it something i would be able to do myself? Anyone else have some input?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you looking to remove the front sight base if need be or do you only want a drop in rail?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you looking to remove the front sight base if need be or do you only want a drop in rail?

Not really sure what that means can you explain a little bit. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some free float rails, such as the LaRue or Daniel Defense Lite, are a one piece rail and require you to remove the front sight base and flash hider to be installed.  Others, such as the Daniel Defense Omega or ones by Midwest Industries or Troy are two piece and can be installed without removing the front sight base and flash hider.  Generally the one piece rails have a stronger mounting system than the two piece rails, but are more expensive and obviously are harder to install.  Not hard, just harder.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some free float rails, such as the LaRue or Daniel Defense Lite, are a one piece rail and require you to remove the front sight base and flash hider to be installed.  Others, such as the Daniel Defense Omega or ones by Midwest Industries or Troy are two piece and can be installed without removing the front sight base and flash hider.  Generally the one piece rails have a stronger mounting system than the two piece rails, but are more expensive and obviously are harder to install.  Not hard, just harder.  

I plan on doing it myself but if its not terribly hard then i don't really care which i get. The easier to instal the better but naturally i want a quality piece. Basically i want something in my price range that will get the job done, and i don't really car about all the bells and whistles, just something i can mount a grip pod on.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to use it for a grip pod, then spend the extra 50 bucks or so and get a free floated rail.  Otherwise, the upward force from the grip pod is going to be transmittted to your barrel, and you'll have less accuracy.

Any AR smith can put on a FF guard for about 50 bucks.

Get a good one, and you're set from then on.

Just about all the big companies make good stuff, so look for a one piece, free float.  It'll get rid of the delta ring and spring, and save a bit of weight.

You'll end up with a rock solid handguard, that you can do pull ups off and not affect the barrel point.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to use it for a grip pod, then spend the extra 50 bucks or so and get a free floated rail.  Otherwise, the upward force from the grip pod is going to be transmittted to your barrel, and you'll have less accuracy.

Any AR smith can put on a FF guard for about 50 bucks.

Get a good one, and you're set from then on.

Just about all the big companies make good stuff, so look for a one piece, free float.  It'll get rid of the delta ring and spring, and save a bit of weight.

You'll end up with a rock solid handguard, that you can do pull ups off and not affect the barrel point.

Any way i could put it on myself.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably.  You'd have to take either the bbl off, or the front sight.  I've never done either, so I don't know how much of a pain it is.  The do it yourself section of the board might have some tips and pointers.

Then cut out the delta ring and take the spring out.  The Troy has instructions about how to do it, which I didn't read as I had my smith do it all.

You can always give it a try, and if you have problems then have a smith finish it up.  Plus since it's the upper, you can always sent it off if you don't have a good smith around you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top