Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2010 2:57:24 AM EDT
I have rifle size free floating tubes on my carbines.  After a just one magazine (1 shot every two seconds), the tube gets pretty hot.  It didn't help that it was about 100 degree outside either.

What can be done?  Wrap it with paracord?  Drill some vent holes at the top?
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#1]
what kind of tube?  is it one of those hogue tubes or another unvented aluminum or steel tube?  those in particular get really hot quick.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
what kind of tube?  is it one of those hogue tubes or another unvented aluminum or steel tube?  those in particular get really hot quick.

It's aluminum.  Sure got a lot hotter than my plastic one.  I just hate to put the plastic back on since free floating definately increase the cosistency of the rifle.

Link Posted: 7/2/2010 3:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have rifle size free floating tubes on my carbines.  After a just one magazine (1 shot every two seconds), the tube gets pretty hot.  It didn't help that it was about 100 degree outside either.

What can be done?  Wrap it with paracord?  Drill some vent holes at the top?

This is what i did with my 2 ar's with aluminum free floats.  works great and if you take your time and wrap neatly, it looks pretty good too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's aluminum.  Sure got a lot hotter than my plastic one.  I just hate to put the plastic back on since free floating definately increase the cosistency of the rifle.

I think he might like a little more info than "aluminum" to help with your issue. What particular maker, model and length can all affect the way they dissapate heat.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2010 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
wear a glove.
machine in some cooling slots keep the top closed.

try a different brand.
My dpms tube gets hot faster than my jp unit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
pics would help since you're being vague with the details.
Link Posted: 7/2/2010 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, how about a little more info...
Which one does your tube look like??

or #2

If you have #1 you could have somebody machine in some cooling vents or replace it with something that is vented...
If you have something like #2, you can buy some rail covers.......

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:47:58 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks like number one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
You need a FAL-style "Chicken Mitt", that's all!

The nonvented tubes get hot, no way around it.  A paracord wrap may help.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Nomex Gloves!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Wrap it or use gloves. Aluminum conducts heat much better than plastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top