Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2010 6:07:25 AM EDT
Good morning all.

I find myself in the middle of my third build, a light-weight KISS rifle.

My first build I used the cheapest stock available last spring, a $42.00 UTG 4 position complete stock kit from MidwayUSA (this same kit is available at JSE Surplus for $30.00). It has over 1,000 rounds down-range without a single hiccup. I know, I know all the "air-soft" jabs get a little childish and old. I fitted a $5.00 buttpad to it and it's comfortable, reliable, and light––I like it. And again––I know, I know it's not what many of you consider suitable for professional bad-guy hunting, door busting, romping stomping, zombie blasting, end-of-the-world, hell-raising. None of that happens to be my thing. And some here are very concerned about their rifle's balance. I won't be entering my rifle in any baton twirling competitions any time soon either. The $47.00 cheap-a$$ stock works.

My second build I decided to go with an upgrade; an Advanced Technology, Inc. stock ($36.00 from JSE Surplus). Then I got the standard 6 position tube and parts from DPMS. This setup gave me a very comfortable adjustable cheek rest and a more substantial feel when shooting. This stock cost $72.00 all-in. A bit heavier but again, 800 rounds without a hiccup. It works.

I'm looking at the Magpul CTR version because it has a way to cinch up the play between the stock and the tube.

My only experience with Magpul has been with their magazines. I find them very well made. I did have a few minor problems with them dropping free from my billet lower, just a very light sanding on a few high spots and problems solved; still a great product. What I disliked greatly was the CEO of Magpul himself showing up down in the "Magazine" forum (where I got the useful advise to sand the high spots) and explaining to me directly and to everyone/anyone else having problems with his magazines that his magazines were fitted to a Colt lower and that all of our lowers were out of spec and to basically go pile sand. That's not what I considered great customer service. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I've priced out a CTR to come in complete with standard hardware and a $16.00 mil-spec DSArms tube at $123.00. A complete ATI stock set at MidwayUSA will be $64.00.

This is America where we have the rights and resources to spend our money as we see fit, but what will the extra $88.00 over the UTG, or $59.00 over the ATI setups get me––other than the neat ability to lock-up tight?

Is the CTR a heavy rig?

Honestly, is it worth the extra cash?
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you don't want to pay much go with the Vltor Modstock at Bravo for $50 or just get the Magpul MOE
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I just returned a CTR for a Vltor basic Modstock and saved about $30 on the return.  The ability to lock up tight on the CTR is not really a needed feature.  My Vltor is not a tight fit but is much more comfortable and practicable (cheek rest) than the CTR and the Vltor does lock up tight when put to shoulder.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Even the CTR doesn't always lock up completely tight. It depends on the tube you use. It will eliminate most of the rattle/play, though. I don't know if I would consider that alone to be worth $90.

edit: To add to what has been said above, Vltor is selling their Modstock kits with mil spec tube and everything else for $99, vltorstore.com.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If you like the CTR but want cheaper, go with a MOE. I had a CTR, didn't see the need for the lock, so have used MOE's on all my builds after that. Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
BCM is selling Vltor modstocks for $50..get a milspec tube $20 and thats a cheap high quality set up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2010 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.

Greatly appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top