Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2010 10:54:24 AM EDT
Has anyone ever done a break down of all the QUALITY FF rails on the market by weight??

Just looking for somthing lighter than I have..

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure it's the DD M4.

If you don't need rails there are a couple carbon fiber tubes that are even lighter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope it has to be a rail system..

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm working on the same sort of project - a ultra light AR with a full rail.
Here's a great list:

http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons

The Daniel Defense 9.0 Lite rail is the lightest I think - 0.8oz
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
DD's is the lightest if i remember correctly. Slightly lighter than LaRue's... Someone put together a huge page with upper and rail weights. I have the bookmark at home I think. The link above was what I was looking far. Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
All I know is when I got my DD rail from UPS I was a bit concerned that they sent me an empty box. until I opened it
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
midwest and yhm were the two lightest by weights listed on their individual sites IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Daniel Defense 9.0 Lite rail is the lightest I think - 0.8oz

Wow that is light.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I weighed my Troy Extreme with the barrel nut and such and it was lighter than the nut and plastic handguards it replaced.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys..
My Vltor VIS 9.0 is really heavy and I am bored with it so I am thinking about changing it up..

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#10]
The DD M4 rail is the absolute lightest. They are just a hair lighter than their Lite counterparts. M4 rails use aluminum barrel nuts as opposed to steel barrel nuts with the Lite rails.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 5:57:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The DD M4 rail is the absolute lightest. They are just a hair lighter than their Lite counterparts. M4 rails use aluminum barrel nuts as opposed to steel barrel nuts with the Lite rails.

So you are saying the regular DD rail is lighter than the DD Lite rail??
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yes, but IMHO the clamping mechanism on the DD lite rail is far superior to that of their "M4" series rails.

The weight difference is not enough to worry, and the difference comes from the barrel nut itself, not the tube.  IE, it will be close to the receiver and from a balance standpoint you wont notice a difference.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
A little old but still very resourceful.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&gid=0

I'm looking to go with a monolithic modular rail system (like the Mega or OBR Lite) on my next build. Where I can add individual rail pieces to keep weight down.

http://www.megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/MTS-MODULAR/loader.html
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yes, but like the other poster says, the difference is negligible. I too prefer the Lite rails, but when you are talking about the absolute lightest, it is the M4 rails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top