Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2010 6:41:42 PM EDT
Am I the only person who ordered one of these handguards to put on a rifle using a standard FSB on only to find out that the handguard is too long to use with the FSB?  I used a 7" rail on a carbine  length gas system.  Now I'm lost as to weather I should cut it short enough to work (it will be ugly with a few open holes at the end) or sell it and get something else. Does anyone know if the old style viking tactical tubes will work with a normal FSB?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
They specify that they are 7+ inches. Not sure why they make them like that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm going to find a machine shop near me that has a horizontal band saw and have them cut a chunk off of the end.  It will be ugly, but It should still get the job done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, they are a 'pistol length' rail. Troy says a true 7" is a month or two out last time I called. The Troy website specifies the length, but a lot of vendors just say 7"
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Great, I was all set to chop the end off, now I don't know if I should wait for the right one or not.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep. I would call them again and ask for a time table, but that's what they told me. I wanted one real bad for my lightweight carbine build, but no dice.. I'm not that patient
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to find a machine shop near me that has a horizontal band saw and have them cut a chunk off of the end.  It will be ugly, but It should still get the job done.

If you do this make sure they take an endmill to the end to clean up the nasty finish the bandsaw will make.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You will also have to refinish the end, as it will expose the raw aluminum.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
not too worried about the finish.  IIRC brownells makes a product to turn aluminum black.  It will end up scratched up anyways, and the end will be ugly due to open ended holes from cutting the end off.  I don't really care, the rifle is not getting entered in any beauty pagents,  its a rifle that is meant to be used, and as long as I can mount a flashlight and a sling to the handguard, and it keeps me from burning my hand on the barrel, I think it will do.  My other thought was getting one of the carbon fiber DPMS handguards and screwing a piece of rail on it to mount my light on, but I prefer the two piece design of the TRX.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
They are 7.6" and they look pretty awesome on a 7.5" barrel that probably has a Pig, Claymore, etc brake sticking out from the handguards where you don't see the barrel.  That is what they were designed for.  Can't you return them for a refund or exchange for the 9" ones that will cover the shaved FSB?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I would return and take a hit on restock/ return shipping rather than turn a 250 dollar or so piece of equipment into zero dollar piece of equipment... and buy the right length rail, ya know there are other brands other than troy...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not have said shop take and end mill (or a hole-saw for the DIY'er) and clearance for the top of the rail for the FSB. Everything else should slip inside the HG just fine. This will leave the majority of the forearm end intact, minus the part that will slip around the tower.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I want one for my midlength, I guess I will have to convert to a low profile gas block and a flip up front sight!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top