Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2009 6:46:58 PM EDT
I'm a complete n00b to the AR platform, I started on a good foot as I traded my AK to a gentleman who wanted one badly, and traded me his brand new, never fired Oly Arms plinker plus with collapsible stock and Hogue grips..

I've since switched to a railed upper, and a railed gas block, and want to get a quad rail setup for accessories.

The primary goal of this weapon is a CQB<->med range (400 yards?)  weapon, with cost in mind (I know, I can hear you guys moaning already), primarily fun/shtf/hunting (in that order)

I have my accessories picked out for the most part, gonna go with an aimpoint scope with 4x flip magnifier, and backup flip up sights,  a bipod grip, and a strobing green laser/flashlight setup for TCFC situations. Single point/3 point sling depending on whether I'm going 'casual' or not.

That being said...

I hear all about how great free float tubes are, how you want to use a free float accessory rail system/handguard if you can, and hear about 'better accuracy', but can't see any real numbers associated with it. My only concern with a free float system is it appears that more crap can get in between the barrel and the handguard, and with the addition of a pound or so of equipment, not to mention the stress of a bipod, attached only at one point, at the barrel/upper...

I'm not trying to build a sniper rifle, if I can hit 12" groups @ 400 yards I'd be satisfied.... (OK, maybe not, but you get what I mean, hehe)

Thanks for the advice guys..

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know that I can give you numbers, but barrel harmonics say that your POI will shift based on what you've got hanging off the rail.  Hang a light - POI moves.  Remove the laser - POI moves again, likely in a completely different direction.  Wouldn't you trade 12" for 9"?

One of my rifles wears an MI free float.  It installed with an Allen key and retains the front handguard cap - nothing going in through the front.

Go with a free float.  It will also give you the additional flexibility of using that section of rail for aiming devices that hold zero.  Is the cost savings really that much?
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a 15$ difference, so no, money isnt the issue.....

no optics will be mounted on the guards..

quad rail for bipod grip, flashlight, laser.

If there's no difference, and only advantages, then I'll go with free float...

Guess I'm just wondering what, if any, are the downsides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top