Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2009 4:11:37 PM EDT
Hi all,

Does anyone make a polymer free float hand guard for the AR 15?

If not,  It would be nice to have one with rails - not just a round tube with bolt on rails like the carbon fiber ones. But one that is designed like, say the YHM lightweight free float hand guard but polymer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
PRI makes a FF tube w/ rail attachments, but it is fiberglass I believe.  Viking tactical makes a good Plastic composite FF from what I here.  If Noveske uses them they must be good.  I am not so ignorant to call it polymere though, I am not to sure what they use
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You could ask this on an airsoft forum........
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
PRI  CARBON FIBER

Strong and light as hell..

Link Posted: 10/11/2009 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PRI  CARBON FIBER

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/AR/IMGP6175.jpg

Why is the front sight mounted like that?
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PRI  CARBON FIBER

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/AR/IMGP6175.jpg

Why is the front sight mounted like that?

It would give you a slightly longer sight radius...
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Does anyone make a polymer free float hand guard for the AR 15?

If not,  It would be nice to have one with rails - not just a round tube with bolt on rails like the carbon fiber ones. But one that is designed like, say the YHM lightweight free float hand guard but polymer.

Several vensors make fibarglass and carbon fiber free float tubes.  At one time, DPMS, Briley and Clark Custom Guns all made CF tubes.  There's also the PRI tube, above.  Armalite puts fiberglass tubes on some of their guns, but I don't know if they sell them separately.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PRI makes a FF tube w/ rail attachments, but it is fiberglass I believe.  Viking tactical makes a good Plastic composite FF from what I here.  If Noveske uses them they must be good.  I am not so ignorant to call it polymere though, I am not to sure what they use

why would it be ignorant to call it polymer? Isn't that pretty much the same as "plastic composite'?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or in a technical gun forum if you're trying to build a lightweight gun.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you saying PRI  is airsoft?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 4:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
PRI is CARBON FIBER
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#12]
And for the record, the Armalite tubes that they CALL fiber are Fiberglass and actually HEAVIER than most other forearms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The Smith and Wesson M&P15-22 comes with one, but its not detachable.  Would satisfy your criteria if you were looking for a training rifle.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Or in a technical gun forum if you're trying to build a lightweight gun.

Clicked "AR-15" , then the sub-forum  under "Equipment" I found "Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more"(Discussion and reviews of Rifles, Major Components, and Parts as well as Vendor-specic topics)

This covers what is in my original post Thank's though. Do you have anything to add to the original topic at hand?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#15]
PRI would be a good choice.

Hmm... it's not listed here, but should be, in my opinion:  http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Clark Custom carbon fiber tube.  Weight is six ounces.  Very strong and it doesn't get as hot as aluminum.

After living with one for three years, I can't imagine using anything else.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep the CLARK is amazingly light.  I picked one up at the NRA show years ago and could not believe it.

I went with the PRI on my 6.8....

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05_074_03&Category_Code=AR15_M16_FRMS

Fiber Target Forearm in Rifle Length - Pri free float target forearm is constructed of a strong light weight carbon fiber with no rails. This forearm also comes with a new light weight high strength alloy aluminum barrel nut. This is an ideal forearm for the target shooter or the beginner who desires lower cost. Weight –– forearm & barrel nut 10.4 ounces

...and the JP on my 3-gun rifle....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#19]
CAA makes polymer drop-in quad rail hand guard.  But it ain't LIGHT.  It says on their website that the polymer quad rail weighs 1 Lb, that's 16 Oz - maybe that's because they have stainless steel heat shield in them.  So why bother?  If it REALLY weighs 16 Oz as they say, I'd go with something else such as Troy Idustries MRF DI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top