Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 7:17:37 PM EDT
Are barrel nut shims available?

Dealers?

I did an archive search and saw references to these back in 2006 and 2007, but did not find any recent information.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the only place that sold them was ar15barrels.

They aren't necessary, just repeat torquing and backing off until you get your holes aligned.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
did you put grease on the threads?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I used Moly-Slide paste to lube the nut and threads on the receiver.  I torqued the barrel and then proceeded to align the next slot for the gas tube.  I tightened, loosened, tightened, and loosened and could not get the last mm or so to let the gas tube slip easily through the slot into the upper.  I loosened one more time then put more pressure on the barrel nut wrench, and "oops" there goes couple of tips off of the slots.

I have removed barrels and placed barrels on a dozen or more AR's, and thought I had the procedure down.  Well I guess I was put in my place!!  

I finally got it aligned, but I now have a barrel nut with a few skewed slots, and broken tips.  I plan to place a new barrel nut on the barrel, but I wanted the shims, just in case I have similar problems with the new barrel nut. The new nut may go on flawlessly, but the shims are for "just in case!"

I emailed ar15barrels and got back that the email was not deliverable.  When searching the archives, the last response I saw from them was back in 2007.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
If its very close you might try lapping the reciever with brownells lapping tool.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20220/Product/AR_15_M16_UPPER_RECEIVER_LAPPING_TOOL
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If its very close you might try lapping the reciever with brownells lapping tool.

I thought about this but did not know the best way to accomplish it.  I should have known there would be a tool for this specific job.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for your responses.  

My first choice will be replacing the barrel nut, then possibly working on the receiver if necessary.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If I had your problem, I'd just grind away the spur that is in the way. It won't affect the barrel nut's function, and the wrench will fit just like it should. Torque the barrel nut, mark the spur, then remove the nut and grind it away the spur.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Lap the front of the receiver on oiled 400 grit wet-or-dry paper on a glass plate.  remove only enough material until you can just start to see base aluminum through the anodizing.  Torque, loosen and retorque a few times if necessary to achieve alignment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top