Posted: 9/13/2009 11:30:40 AM EDT
Posted this in Precision Rifles, but this is a specific AR problem.  So:

Here's the Rifle:  Krieger Barrel, DMR trigger

The following are all 4 round groups:

69gr BH, 100 yds, WITH Smith Vortex FH:

Same ammo, FH removed:

77gr BH 100yds, WITH Smith Vortex FH:

Same ammo, FH removed:

According to the factory, the Vortex should be no more than finger tight.  I have been using it exactly that way; also tried it with 10lbs torque.

I have used Vortexes in the past without anything like these results.  Is mine damaged?  What FH would you try next?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
yhm flash hider?
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
We ran some tests a while back using a Vortex, Blackout, and QCB on a quality barrel with quality ammo.  The QCB performed better, but not as dramatic a differential as you are presenting.

The gist of it is that muzzle devices can most certainly influence precision.

Your target type changed for one of the strings.  I am not suggesting that made all the difference, but please remember how important variable isolation is for further testing.  Thanks for the data.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems obvious, but are you seeing any strikes?  Doubtful, but worth asking.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There was nothing obvious in terms of strikes.  I will check again.

since I and many others have had good results with Vortex, I am thinking one of the tynes got knocked out of line, or something?  Not sure if that would cause what I was seeing.

The difference in the targets is noted, and in the future I will try to compare apples to apples; of course, in this case we went from 2.4in to 0.45in, far more than the target itself could account for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Your barrel might just not like the Smith FH.

I'd get a whole bunch of FHs and try them out. Keep the winner and sell the losers on the EE. BSW
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting results - everything I've ever read on the Smith Vortex Flash Hiders is that they "increase" accuracy? Can you post a close up pick of the Vortex from the front and the back? I'm wondering - as you suggested, if one of the prongs is off alignment compared to the others? Or, is there some excessive fowling/carbon build up on one side that's affecting the gas flow and causing irregular turbulence when the bullet exits the muzzle?

Sakic #19
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Barrel harmonics can change when different torques values are used when installing a FH. I had a 16" carbine barrel with a standard GI FH that I had replaced with a XM177 Slipover FH. I torqued it on (no measurement, just torqued until it felt solid).

Prior to the Slipover the barrel groups were so so. After I put on the slipover, it shot amazingly tight groups. I never took that slipover off because I was afraid I would never find that "sweet spot" of torque again.

Try torquing it at different amounts, if that still does not fix it, ditch it and try another FH.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You got me.  Try a small spark plug ring as a crush washer.  This might take out any variance between the two mating surfaces.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
1. No flash hider can improve accuracy by design.
2. Adding any weight to your barel can casue a random alteration of accuracy based on barrel harmonics.

You can just as easily get better groups as worse when adding a Vortex.  Would like to know how much your torqued it on if at all. Excessive torque on the threads is bad.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried it finger tight, as Smith indicates it should be, as well as with 10 lbs torque as applied by a torque wrench
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Will try an A2 fitted and reamed.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a guess, could it be bad threads on the barrel? Way off center perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes this is possible and is being checked; however, after talking with Krieger about how they do their threads, it would be extremely hard for their system to fail, especially since each barrel is done one at a time by hand.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top