Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2009 2:09:01 PM EDT
A friend of mine is looking into puuchasing one of these for his first AR. It looks like a good rifle and he can get it out the door for under $650. What kind of reviews do these get and is that a fair price?
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also no chrome lining in the barrel as I remember it. Quite a few corners cut. At a minimum you are looking at immediatly buying a scope or irons, so add that to the price. Personally I would not look at it for anything but a playgun for someone who wants an AR to shoot beer cans in the back yard once in awhile in the summer. If he is looking for a serious self defense carbine I would pass on this

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC no front sight, dust cover, forward assist, or brass deflector,  a friend of mine bought one for his son and he said it shoots and functions good but for the same money you can buy a kit and a lower and have a nicer gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also no chrome lining in the barrel as I remember it. Quite a few corners cut. At a minimum you are looking at immediatly buying a scope or irons, so add that to the price. Personally I would not look at it for anything but a playgun for someone who wants an AR to shoot beer cans in the back yard once in awhile in the summer. If he is looking for a serious self defense carbine I would pass on this
For $ 550 he could get a J&T kit with a chrome lined barrel http://jtdistributing.net/store/more_k_c16k.html and then get a $ 100 lower somewhere and he could build a carbine with sights, chrome lined barrel and dust cover.

Personally I think he's better off spending some money and getting a decent carbine that he can bet his life on and which will probably outlast him, LMT upper and build a lower out of decent parts, that's what I did and I have been using mine for years with no problems

i would suggest this route also, very high quality rifle kits.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
+ 1 on jtdistributing. great guys to deal with
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm certainly not going to dispute anything said here but I recently purchased a DPMS Low Pro Classic, which is a "Sportical" with a heavy barrel. I absolutely love it.
Of course my life doesn't depend on it and I very seriously doubt I'll ever be able to shoot out the barrel.

My question is, I hear that chrome lined will last 2X longer, what is a typical round count one can expect from a non-chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 8/21/2009 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a low pro classic which is the heavy barreled version and I love it. It has taken all the abuse I have thrown at it with no problems. Its not battle ready like my M4gery but thats not what I bought it for. As far as an entry level rifle goes its a good buy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
thats what ive been hearing from a lot of people. i will buy a A3 20" rifle upper or the 24" inch lo pro bull barrel upper. i already bought this rifle. minimal cleaning and no stopages in 100 rnds. in 10 shot groups 6 go in to 1 hole at 100 yards the other 4 were close but my fault. its a nice light rifle. i like it. put a k2.5 on it. $50. extra high weaver rings from walmart. $10. friend gave me 2 30rnd mags. free.  an m4 it is not. total for the rifle was $680.  dont really like the m4 i like the 20" rifle. i couldnt find one close so i got this. just bought a 700 rnd tin of silver bear to play with. this rifle is neat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I just finished putting together a rifle.  it ended up being all dpms, though parts were purchased each seperately (lower, parts kit, 6 pos stock, and dpms complete upper).  i ended up with a nice mforgery for right around $600 total.  only thing not in that cost was a carry handle i added to the flattop, which i had laying around.

and this entire gun was purchased in parts SINCE last november.

i dont know where i was going with this, so take it for what its worth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top