Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 7:55:20 PM EDT
I have a NIB Colt LE6920, that has a side-to-side "slop" (wiggle) of...maybe, 1/8th-inch, in the fore-end grips. I, also, have another one that is unfired and the fore-end grips are tight to the barrel. They have NO movement at all. My first thought is that the grips just need to be "set". I am not familiar with these grips and have not attempted to do anything, as of yet. Just thought I would inquire first, as someone may have a "been-there-done-that" experience.

Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Wiggling handguards are normal. Some guns are tighter than others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Really, wiggle is normal? I have a Colt that is 15 yrs old, a Bushmaster and the two LE Colts. The only one with wiggle is one of the two LE's. I can't believe that would be an overlooked characteristic, in the Quality check, before one is allowed to leave the plant. It certainly is not desireable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]

I've never had a factory upper with generic handguards that didn't wiggle. Some more than others, but all had at least a little play. I'd say it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure someone here soon will correct me and say they have a definate .0485 MOA variance of the harmonic vibration that, if unattended, will cause a resonance cascade or something.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Put a little electrical tape on the lips of the handguards and it will tighten right up.  It's not unusual to have a little play in the handguards, even on a Colt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top