Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 2:49:47 PM EDT
I just ordered the 20" match barrel for a precision shooter Ar. What are your experiences?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like this barrel.  Needed to run a couple of hundred rnds break in for it to settle down.  I just ordered the Hoplite and hope it performs as well.

Sorry about the huge picture.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the 18" barrels due to arrive Tuesday. Going to build a hybrid SPR style gun

Just ordered a Troy 13" trx extreme for it

I'm hoping it's a tack driver and a decent "hunting" rig
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the Hoplite and I'm very excited to see what it will do. Does anyone have a favorite factory load to shoot out of it? I whant to break it in a couple hundred rounds before I start handloading for it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Barrels are fickle parts.  Some seem to digest anything fed and others won't work well with any.  Same Mfg., ammo lot, gunsmith, seems not to matter.  Crap shoot, go to speak.  This may be why a high end rifle with a guarantee costs more.  Might take numerous barrels to meet that standard.  These rifles are sent with test target and ammo is listed.

Long and short of it, SB is a reputable Mfg.  I've bought from them and will again.

My current build is a !6" mid length with a NM FFT, M3 upper with glass.  Carry handle, NM sights fore (adj. for cant)  and aft (1/4" MOA) as a BUIS, GSA Hi-Speed FCG.  FA BCG. Turner all weather NM sling.  ST-T2 buffer.  Why would I put a crappy barrel on all this,

16.1" , 1/7"  SuperiorBarrels, barrel, works for me.  They've been around for awhile and I don't think they'll leave soon.  You made a good choice.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just ordered the 20" match barrel for a precision shooter Ar. What are your experiences?
I range tested my new 20" hoplite, by Superior, yesterday.  After the sighters, to get on paper I watched my groups tighten-up.  All my groups were 10 rounds.  I went from about 1.7" using 60 gr Hornady SPHPs over 27 grains of IMR 4895, CCI BR4 primer, to a final group of .82" using 69 gr. Nosler Custom Comps over 24 gr VV N135, CCI BR4.  My other three 10 rd groups were somewhere between these two extremes.  They included 77gr SMKs, 77Gr Nosler CCs and 69gr SMKs.

I do not think I have tapped the accuracy potential as yet, but the barrel has shown a preference for bullets in the 69gr range at moderate (2830 fps) velocity.  I am very pleased with this barrel so far and I think it will only get better as I dial-in my handloads.

If you have any trouble getting your barrel to shoot, try some Sierra 52gr Matchkings, over a moderate load of one of the quicker burning progressive (stick) powders.  I have yet to see a quality .223 which did not group well with these little SMKs.

Good Luck

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my 18" barrel in today. Looks really good. It'll be a few weeks before she's built and a few more weeks before my lower parts get here. I'll test her out using an existing lower. I'm sure in the end it will out shoot my abilities
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:20:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I range tested my new 20" hoplite, by Superior, yesterday. After the sighters, to get on paper I watched my groups tighten-up. All my groups were 10 rounds. I went from about 1.7" using 60 gr Hornady SPHPs over 27 grains of IMR 4895, CCI BR4 primer, to a final group of .82" using 69 gr. Nosler Custom Comps over 24 gr VV N135, CCI BR4. My other three 10 rd groups were somewhere between these two extremes. They included 77gr SMKs, 77Gr Nosler CCs and 69gr SMKs.

I do not think I have tapped the accuracy potential as yet, but the barrel has shown a preference for bullets in the 69gr range at moderate (2830 fps) velocity. I am very pleased with this barrel so far and I think it will only get better as I dial-in my handloads.

If you have any trouble getting your barrel to shoot, try some Sierra 52gr Matchkings, over a moderate load of one of the quicker burning progressive (stick) powders. I have yet to see a quality .223 which did not group well with these little SMKs.

53 grain flat base (Sierra and Hornady) has shot extremely well. I prefer a flat base bullet out to 300 yards. I need to get busy and swag some flat base 75-79 grain bullets, just for fun. I've had OK results with my swaged bullets using .22LR cases, but the will come apart right around 3000 FPS. When shot at 2600-2900, all energy is expanded within a few inches in the target.

I have never gotten the Sierra 77 to shoot well. Of the heavy bullets, the Hornady 75 grain HPBT match (not AMAX) and Sierra 80 grain shoot very well. I use IMR-4895. It seems that the slower burning powders (IMR-4895, Varget, N-135, N-133, N-140) work best with heavier bullets; may have something to do with the slower burn and thus the longer time before maximum pressure is reached. I do not use a compressed load, and I use QuickLoad, set at 122F degrees, to calculate loads; I try not go above 55,000 PSI. I run the program at the highest temperature setting, because after firing five shots the chamber is heated enough to rapidly transfer heat to the case, and the pressures increase accordingly. The most accurate loads I have gotten with every caliber have been ones that are about 15% less than maximum/factory pressures. I figure that the target doesn't know the difference of 200-300 FPS: all hits count. I'd like to have flash x-ray speed photography coupled with pressure gauges to see how this may work out: bullet position versus pressure. I may give APG a call about that.

I have a Krieger 24" 1/7.7 which eats 77gr SMKs and 77gr Nosler CCs like candy.  I have had decent performance with these bullets in a few other of my target ARs, but nothing to write home about.  I tried the bullet swaging thing many years ago, the good quality and low price of the commercial offerings made it seem like a waste of my time.  One of these days I may resume experimenting with swaging, but probably not until I retire.

A few years back I was pawing through some of my old junk in my workshop, I ran across about 3000 Sierra 50gr JHP spirepoints, they were packaged in the old two tone green hardboard boxes so I estimate they dated to the late 60s.  I had a nearly full 8 pound jug of AA 1680 sitting about so I combined the two.  I know 1680 should be too fast for good performance in .223 but these little devils shot lights-out in every rifle I used them in.  I do not know what the pressures were but the primers looked good and there was very little casehead expansion.  Handloading is both an art and a science, sometimes the amount of each varies.

I too prefer to work slightly below maximum pressures, but some barrels respond favorably to higher pressures/velocity and I would not ever preclude doing so if I thought it was necessary.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about their barrels but I have bought other items from them. Top notch packaging, delivery, and items. They have treated me great!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 2:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only barrel I've seen Sierra 77 shot well from was a 24" 1:7.7 Krieger. . . . . .  Anyway, there may be something about the Krieger 1:7.7 that makes the 77's shoot well.

The 20" Krieger barrels with the 1:7.7" twist (per the Greenhill formula, that's the ideal twist rate for the 77 grain SMK) also shoot the 77 grain Sierra MatchKings well.    I don't think that it's a coincidence that you see so many of them on High Power Service Rifles.  My own 20" Krieger barreled AR-15 turned in the 10-shot group from 100 yards pictured below.

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I build one for a friend, and liked it so much, I duplicated it for me.

consecutive 10x shot groups, .55-.65 on handloads and .7ish using black hills.

Good enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#15]
So I got the barrel and gas block installed last week and took it out for a function test this weekend. She at XM193 with no issues. I fired about 30 rounds, cleaning every 5. Optics are on the way and I'll have range reports soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/24/2009 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fired about 30 rounds, cleaning every 5.

Breaking in your Superior Barrels barrel

"Barrel Break-in and Cleaning

The break-in process is very simple, for barrels without Hard Blue.

Fire a few shots, clean, keep firing.

If you want, you can shoot once, then clean, for 5 rounds, but there is no benefit.  You will spend your day cleaning and not shooting, and that is what a properly made barrel should do: shoot.

Hard Blue barrels need nothing.  Generally, you will need to fire about 20-50 rounds to get the groups to tighten.  De-copper when you note your accuracy falling off.

Cleaning:

If you use a solvent containing ammonia (Butch's Bore Shine), the barrel should be also cleaned with a non-ammonia solvent to remove the ammonia.

<snip>

What product(s) do you suggest / recommend for accomplishing this ?

Link Posted: 6/24/2009 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I only use Wip-Out and Patch-Out with Accelerator.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Can someone suggest powder recipes for my Dexa poly?

I took it out for the first time recently and used some Brown Bear 62 to sight in and have some fun... then tried a 5 round group with Prvi 75 and a 5 round group with 77 SMKs over Varget.  Both 5 round groups were approx 1.25" and I was pleased (particularly after reading here that these don't love 77s).  I will post a picture of the groups if requested.

I will be using LC brass and wolf primers with Hornady 68 HPBT and milspec 75 HPBT.  I have IMR 4895, TAC, and Varget as well as a few lbs of AA2520 and H322 to try.  Anyone have recipe suggestions for these projectiles?  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top