Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:24:03 PM EDT
Is there any advantage to the Lite rail vs the M4?  I see that the Lite rail provides an uninterrupted rail surface, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also, I am planning on using the DD clamp on gas block, as I don't feel comfortable drilling set screw dimples into my barrel.  Does anyone have experience with this gas block, good or bad?

Edit: My barrel has a midlength gas system, the 10" models should cover the gas block, correct?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there any advantage to the Lite rail vs the M4?  I see that the Lite rail provides an uninterrupted rail surface, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Also, I am planning on using the DD clamp on gas block, as I don't feel comfortable drilling set screw dimples into my barrel.  Does anyone have experience with this gas block, good or bad?

Edit: My barrel has a midlength gas system, the 10" models should cover the gas block, correct?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
While I have never had any issues with the DD M4 on one of my older carbines that has been beat on pretty hard, I prefer the "feel" of the Lite's comparatively "flat" surface on the bottom of the attachment point to the upper for one of my never carbines as I magwell mount.  Not only does the Lite have a pseudo-continuous top rail, but it also has anti-rotational provision for those who might use a VFG.

10" will probably not completely cover the gas block, which is why we went with an LT 11" for my wife's 16" middy.  It is a shame that DD doesn't currently make an 11"; hopefully, they are reading this.  I can probably dig up some pics if they are relevant to your decision.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10 inch DD Lite rail on a midlength barrel with a DD low profile gas block.  The rail covers most of the gas block.  Here is a pic.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
10" will probably not completely cover the gas block, which is why we went with an LT 11" for my wife's 16" middy.  It is a shame that DD doesn't currently make an 11"; hopefully, they are reading this.  I can probably dig up some pics if they are relevant to your decision.

That would be great!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks olemiss!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#6]
olemiss,

Would you measure the top length of the rail on your 10" DD Lte Rail, I am having trouble find the exact length.  I want to use a DD Lite Rail on my 18" Noveske build and want it to cover the gas block that came with the barrel.

Thanks,

Ed
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
olemiss,

Would you measure the top length of the rail on your 10" DD Lte Rail, I am having trouble find the exact length.  I want to use a DD Lite Rail on my 18" Noveske build and want it to cover the gas block that came with the barrel.

Thanks,

Ed

10" is not going to cover your gas block, You will need the 12". I know this because I was going to hvae adco install a 9" on a barrel with a carbine length gas system and they told me if I wanted the whole gas block covered I would need the 10".

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

10" is not going to cover your gas block, You will need the 12". I know this because I was going to hvae adco install a 9" on a barrel with a carbine length gas system and they told me if I wanted the whole gas block covered I would need the 10".

9" is the shortest that will completely cover the gas block on a carbine length gas system, and 11" is the shortest that will completly cover the gas block on a mid length gas system; trust me, I have both.

Unfortunately DD does not currently offer an 11", so one's choices [among others] for a mid-length are either a DD 12.0 or an LT 11.0 if he wants to keep it as short as possible, while still completely covering the gas block.

There was a really nice pic floating around with all of the various handguard lengths [LT, IIRC] shown next to each other; I can't seem to find it, but maybe someone else will.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#9]
It is exactly 10 inches from the upper receiver to the end of the DD 10 inch Lite rail.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks olemiss and deadpresidents for the replies.

I am going to go with the DD Lite 12".

-Ed
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks olemiss and deadpresidents for the replies.

I am going to go with the DD Lite 12".

-Ed

You won't regret it!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top