Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2009 3:53:19 PM EDT
I had a UBR bought, but the seller is getting squirrelly.

My question is which stock is best for my application.

20" LaRue Stealth Sniper System.

It is for 100-600 yard target shooting. I have had a UBR and really liked it. I have also had a PRS, but only briefly. I didnt use it enough to make a decision.

Should I go with the PRS for its adjustability?

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
PRS...the adjustability is great for a target/tactical use
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The UBR is nice, but not nice enough for to switch from my MOE(I like light and simple) considering the price.

Though I have no experience with a PRS, I would imagine it'd make a 20" balance a bit nicer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the PRS however, the UBR intrigues me, I would really like to get my hands on one when things calm down a bit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say PRS if you want to do 200-600 yard work. No doubt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The UBR I had was a great stock. Really liked the solid feel. That said, I have about decided to go with a PRS.

Just starting to look at them seriously. What is the difference in the genII?

I see a "package" of a genII PRS with a monopod built in. That could be a nice setup, but almost $400. Anybody using one of these?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with a standard A2 stock?  I have one on my varmint rig....figured it was cheaper than the PRS and I could always just slide a PRS on it if the cheek weld wasn't right when I put a scope on it.  I put a scope on it and the cheek weld and eye relief is perfect....and it weighs a heck of a lot less (both in pounds and on the pocket book) than the PRS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PRS...the adjustability is great for a target/tactical use

+1
I got a UBR on my recon and a PRS on mySPR go PRS
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's wrong with a standard A2 stock?  I have one on my varmint rig....figured it was cheaper than the PRS and I could always just slide a PRS on it if the cheek weld wasn't right when I put a scope on it.  I put a scope on it and the cheek weld and eye relief is perfect....and it weighs a heck of a lot less (both in pounds and on the pocket book) than the PRS.

Not worried about weight.

Nothing wrong with an A2 stock if you like them. The PRS and UBR are both considered upgrades, though.

I am leaning toward the PRS because this is my first precision AR and I want the adjustabilty.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I just put this lower together today for my MK12 Mod0 build it seems like a solid stock.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
G-30, is that gen1 or 2? Still trying to determine if there is much difference.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#11]
PRS, if your out on a canoe and loose an oar, you can use that ugly stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I build a rifle in which form is more important then function, I will note this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I build a rifle in which form is more important then function, I will note this.

You kidding me?! What's more functional than a dual purpose rifle stock? J/K  

All kidding aside, You have a UBR, you said weight isn't an issue so go PRS. Sounds like thats what you really want to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a UBR (yet) but I do have a PRS.  

The idea of the PRS is nice but to allow room for the charging handle to be operated, the adjustable cheek piece is too far back for decent eye relief.  If you use the PRS with the cheek piece all the way down, you still have the adjustable length of pull but that is all.  

I prefer the A2 over the PRS simple because of the band for the buck factor.  With that said, the PRS is a very quality constructed stock.  I do enjoy the weight of the PRS (heavy as hell) to balance out a 20" HBAR or varmint barrel.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't have a UBR (yet) but I do have a PRS.  

The idea of the PRS is nice but to allow room for the charging handle to be operated, the adjustable cheek piece is too far back for decent eye relief.  If you use the PRS with the cheek piece all the way down, you still have the adjustable length of pull but that is all.  

I prefer the A2 over the PRS simple because of the band for the buck factor.  With that said, the PRS is a very quality constructed stock.  I do enjoy the weight of the PRS (heavy as hell) to balance out a 20" HBAR or varmint barrel.

Put a GI cleaning kit in the buttstock cheap & heavy !!! It also doubles as...

Wait for it ....

A cleaning kit !!!!

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
G-30, is that gen1 or 2? Still trying to determine if there is much difference.

To tell you the truth I am not sure, I got it from LaRue in March but the invoice does not say.

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#17]
If what your doing is precision or sniper shooting then Thats what the PRS was made for.  The UBR is a heavier more robust version of the tactical adjustable stock.  If you are using a longer tactical rifle or if you have a M4 but like the toys and accesories like the lights, heavy opticsand lasers then the UBR does an excellent job of balancing the weapon.  It is a heavy stock but I love mine.  Should you ever have to butt stroke someone it would cause a tremendous amount of damage too.  Its that sturdy.  It all boils down to your preference and use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Well the rifle is definitely going to be used for LR precision shooting. PRS it is.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Has anybody bought one of the gen2 PRS packages with the accu shot monopod? would be nice to not have to have a rear bag. I have never used a monopod, but if they are easy to get adjusted just right, they may be very effective.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
anybody using the monopod?
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Look here: Magpul PRS

Link Posted: 4/25/2009 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I will check out the link, but it seems that there is in fact a gen 2. I am seeing them advertised in a lot of places. The gen 2 doesnt have anything to do with the pod. This stock was just a gen 2 and was packaged with the pod.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anybody bought one of the gen2 PRS packages with the accu shot monopod? would be nice to not have to have a rear bag. I have never used a monopod, but if they are easy to get adjusted just right, they may be very effective.

There is no Gen 2. Someone might be selling it as a package deal or something but the PRS has a rail on the bottom that you can attach a monopod to. All you have to do is slide the piece off on the bottom of the stock and it has a rail built into it.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page at the description and the pics and you'll see.

Look here: Magpul PRS

Wrong juicehead.  There is a Gen 1 and Gen 2 PRS.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#24]
What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

It isn't listed on the Magpul website that i could find. I found  a bunch of sites that are advertising the PRS Gen 2 but none have a description as to the difference from the Gen 1. I am very intrested as i am looking to buy one of these in the next month.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Gen 1- has a metal buttplate

Gen 2- has a rubber pad on the buttplate

direct from Magpul!
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I found a new gen 2 PRS in black. Think I am going to order that and be done with it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the only difference !!

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Due to in stock issues, I had to get the PRS in FDE. To LaRues credit, they expedited the shippping so I could get it Friday. If my MKIV shows tomorrow, I will be shooting by the weekend
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Now I need a FDE MIAD, and FDE rail covers. I have a brand new black MIAD and new in package black magpul rail covers to trade.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I am a newbie when it comes to stocks. I didnt realize that my PRS would not come with a rifle buffer tube and spring. Is this typical? Now I have to find a buffer tube. Will the tube from a carbine work with my 20" LaRue?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I am a newbie when it comes to stocks. I didnt realize that my PRS would not come with a rifle buffer tube and spring. Is this typical? Now I have to find a buffer tube. Will the tube from a carbine work with my 20" LaRue?

nope
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Think I have everything on the way to get this together. All the following stuff should be here this week: Rifle buffer tube. FDE MIAD, FDE XTM rail covers.

Here is a pic of the PRS mocked up and what it will look like, also need to trade a couple black 30 rd Pmags for a couple FDE 20 rounders.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top