Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2008 6:32:45 PM EDT
I have never touched a wrench to an AR-15 but, bought a Rock River from an auction site and didn't realized that the 5 position stock was glued or something.

I assume this rifle was made during the ban as it doesn't have a flash suppresor...just a flare in the end of the barrel.

I bought a Command Arms collapsible butt stock but I think I will have to get a tube also...

Does anyone have any experience undoing the crappy clinton stock?

I am looking at a tube from Midway...

Any suggestions welcome

picture:
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the receiver extention even have the adjustment channel milled into it? If not, you need to buy a new extention.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what the extention is?
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Swan Hunter:
Not sure what the extention is?

Also known as the buffer tube.

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I figured on replacing it as they look like they are quite cemented together.  I don't think I could get them apart even if it was usable.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The fixed "telestock" is one piece, at least on the rifles I've seen.  The whole thing has to come off.

They are usually put on with red loctite.  For removal I put the whole lower in the deep freeze for two or three hours, then have someone hold it (or put it in a padded vice) and use a brass punch and hammer.  A couple of good whacks on a slot in the castle nut and the bond will break.

ETA the RRA fixed telestocks I've seen all had a RRA logo on them.  Your rifle might be different because someone might have replaced another stock.  In that case it could be a one-piece, or it could be pinned.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#6]
No logo but looks like you described...The cheek piece looks like it has been glued in place and no grove for adjustable ability milled in it.  I'll have a go at it after the holidays!

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Besides a  buffer tube you also may need a new  buffer and spring, locking plate and castle nut.  Some of the "Post Ban"  telestocks used the longer rifle buffer and spring combination. You may be able to reuse the castle nut and plate if you do not mess  them up removing your old stock. Also when you remove the buffer tube be careful not to lose the buffer retainer and retaining spring as it will pop out of the receiver as you unscrew the buffer tube.

One last thing; CAA makes two sizes of stocks; commercial and mil-spec; you need to order the right sized buffer tube according to the one you have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top