Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2008 12:21:17 PM EDT
I don't know where I heard it, but that High Standard was or is a major supplier to S&W MP rifle line.  Does anybody know the story about High Standard and how they got involved in AR's?  I have bought a few parts from Brownells and the seem to be nice and the price is good to.  I was really wondering about their bolts and bolt carriers and if they were tested (MPI) and the carriers were shot peened.  Any and all information would be welcomed.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using quite a bit of High Standard AR parts.
I have no idea if the bolts and carriers are shot peened or magnaflux particle inspected, they don't mark them as such, but I have been impressed enough to use these on several builds with no issues so far.

All the assembled bolts have come with a blue buffer and silver extractor ejector springs.
I replace these with chrome silicone springs and black buffers and sometimes add a D-Fender D ring extractor assist donut.

The carriers use the heavier earlier AR modifications with the firing pin area covered and supported.
I especially like this for use with two stage trigger set-ups because the hammer won't bind in the cutout as they sometimes do with the fully milled carriers. HTH
Link Posted: 9/25/2008 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
First of all, THIS High Standard is in no way associated with the original outfit in Connecticut. Yeah, they bought the name, but that's all the relationship.

Second, they don't "make" a damn thing.  Like most other brands they buy everything from outside suppliers. Last time I looked, their uppers and lowers were simply Conti pieces, and Continental makes the uppers and lowers for at least 5 other outfits; including their own subsidiary, Stag.

In other words, thgey're an assembly plant; not a manufacturer. Nothing wrong with that. Just about all ARs are put together in assembly plants. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you're getting something spedial with one brand or another. Almost all of them are putting out more or less good stuff these days; and almost all of them are putting out the occasional piece of junk.

Asking for input on a particular brand is pointless unless you're willing wait for a thousand or more replies. Just because one guy is thrilled w/his piece doesn't mean that you won't get today's production line POS when you order tomorrow. Sure some brands have a better overall reputation than others, and that's what you should be after. Not individual experiences.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#3]
They offer good stuff, I haven't had to send anything back yet.
Of course if you aren't buying parts specifically endorsed by certain individuals on this forum then you are a bubblegum chewing, kool aid drinking moron but hey, everyone has an opinion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Contrary to what they other poster says, they do have an AR/AK/Pistol manufacturing facility filled with lathes and mills. I've been inside it and it sure looked like they were making weapons to me. They got into ARs a few years back, and they still make match grade pistols, Camp Perry 1911s and AMT pistols. Call 1-800-272-7816 and ask if you have any questions, or if you are in Houston, stop by -- the owner is friendly and has no problem giving out info.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Contrary to what they other poster says, they do have an AR/AK/Pistol manufacturing facility filled with lathes and mills. I've been inside it and it sure looked like they were making weapons to me. They got into ARs a few years back, and they still make match grade pistols, Camp Perry 1911s and AMT pistols. Call 1-800-272-7816 and ask if you have any questions, or if you are in Houston, stop by -- the owner is friendly and has no problem giving out info.

I don't know what those machines are used for, but I have seen no evidence that they were used for building any of the ARs w/the HS label that have come to Georgia. Sorry, but markings on the parts/assys of the four or five I've seen at shows are pure Continental/subcontractor pieces. Maybe they plan to build from scratch in the future, or have already started; but all I can report on is what I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I don't know what those machines are used for, but I have seen no evidence that they were used for building any of the ARs w/the HS label that have come to Georgia. Sorry, but markings on the parts/assys of the four or five I've seen at shows are pure Continental/subcontractor pieces. Maybe they plan to build from scratch in the future, or have already started; but all I can report on is what I've seen.You may be absolutely right -- in which case it might be better to buy direct rather than getting 'old' parts. I only bought mine a few months back, but that was how things stood when I was there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They are friendly if they have time.  I am happy that they have survived.  I am happy that they are doing OK.  And they will do custom work if you ask, which is nice, too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#8]
At a DFW gunshow, I got a chance to pick up two High Standard lowers with consecutive serial numbers and jumped on it. Although it's obviously not LMT, the fit and finish could've fooled me when I put an LMT upper on it. There is an unobvious but decent-size machining mark (more like a very slight cut) on both of them but otherwise the lowers are as good if not slightly better than any other major lower manufacturer out there. And I like the fact that it doesn't have a stupid logo or rollmark like almost every other lower does. Like an earlier post stated, this is just my individual experience with just one piece of an entire gun, but since High Standard AR parts are relatively unknown and new, I think any relevant info and opinions should be put out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top