Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:10:10 AM EDT
I'm having a tough time appropriating $200+ for a handguard that will take a flashlight and a VFG.

Do the YHM rails take abuse well?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You get what you pay for.  I will leave it at that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I think they are fine, BUT you need to make sure you get a newer one with the "non rotation" screws and sometimes the rails might not fit some accessories.

I have a a few and they work fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I think if you use your rifle for work as in law enforcement, security you should spend the money for quality...alot of people just buy all the the tacticool stuff like surefires and vfg and ff rails so they can have a cool ar..do they even know how to accurately use the weapon or are they just trying to be cool....I dont really need a vfg or a tactical weapons light on my ar at home so i dont see waisting the money...now if i was using it for work with ir aiming lights, optics, nvd and weapons lights thats a different story id spend the money for some good quality stuff...shit if ur want a rail just for a vfg get a cheap rail cause u wont have the need to maintain a good zero...no optics or aiming devices. Its your money id use the extra money to buy ammo!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#4]
YHM is an okay rail, I have one on my DPMS, good enough quality for the beater i use.  My RRA Entry Tac has a Surefire that is solid as a rock but your looking at $200 for that one.    Of course,  my trusty old Colt AR has the orginal heat dissipating hand gaurds (the wide ones with double heat shields)   That is the best one for what I do!

Best o' luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have several ARs with YHM rails, my duty AR has YHM rails.  I have used my duty AR for years, taken classes, went through SWAT school etc with ZERO issues.  I have built duty ARs and recommended YHM products and have had ZERO negative feedback.

I have attached various FVGs and lights with ZERO issues.  Protective rails have been installed on several with ZERO issues.

I don't understand why some folks look down on the YHM product as they have served me and others (LEOs) well.

I agree with the anti-rotation ring/screws, makes for one hell of a solid lock up.  Go with a set, you WILL NOT be let down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think if you use your rifle for work as in law enforcement, security you should spend the money for quality...alot of people just buy all the the tacticool stuff like surefires and vfg and ff rails so they can have a cool ar..do they even know how to accurately use the weapon or are they just trying to be cool....I dont really need a vfg or a tactical weapons light on my ar at home so i dont see waisting the money...now if i was using it for work with ir aiming lights, optics, nvd and weapons lights thats a different story id spend the money for some good quality stuff...shit if ur want a rail just for a vfg get a cheap rail cause u wont have the need to maintain a good zero...no optics or aiming devices. Its your money id use the extra money to buy ammo!

Say again, over?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the YHM lightweight rifle-length railed FF forearm on my M4-gery.  The forearm that I have DOES have anit-rotation screws.

From my use of the rifle, I can't say a negative thing about it.

-- Erevis (John)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
My son had a set on his M4 for close to 15 months in Iraq and never had a problem. His MOS was a 15 delta, army scout, so they got plenty of use. He is back home now and a I put together a rifle similar to what he carried over there. I sent him the YHM, an eotech and VFG, they are all his civi version of his M4.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of YHM's handguard... I have 2 of the non-lightweights on one of mine, and one of my father's guns.

They take abuse VERY well-- and survived and continue to survive carbine courses and heavy carry through the woods for hunting...

Neither loses zero on the BUIS. Neither loses zero on the Aimpoint or Eotech...  so far YHM rails are no different than my Troy or DD systems... just a little heavier =)

It makes me wonder how many people have actually used a YHM rail system... and how many are just talking out of their ass.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I like them but there heavy compared to others. You dont say if your wanting FF or not? If not, Troy makes a set for about $150 that look nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Have one (YHM FF Rail) and think it's beautiful and very functional.  Priced right as well.  Haven't had it long enough to address the abuse question, but what the hell makes rails so damned expensive?

YHM for 30% of the cost of DD.  Sorry, but I am just hanging things on it so DD is way too pricey and YHM gets the nod.

You need to spend $375 to mount a BUIS and grip pod/ VFG?  Not me friend.

I am thinking of switching all my ARs over to YHM FF Rails.  I love the damned things!

Oh - and their CS is pretty good as well.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Does YHM have T marks on thier rails...I wasnt sure but if they are expensive i would think they would be marked? They look like one solid piece of machined alluminum. What does YHM have over a cheaper set like UTG Rail when u just want to put on a VFG and a light
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I think they are fine, BUT you need to make sure you get a newer one with the "non rotation" screws and sometimes the rails might not fit some accessories.

I have a a few and they work fine.

Yup, i am on my 5th set.  I have had no problems...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I use only DD and YHM on the builds I do and I have done 12 or 13 of them, all for personal use.  The only negative thing I have found with the YHM is that once in a while the rail might not accept something on the tight side of mil-spec.  I've had one YHM forend rail where there was no way it would take a TD VG without some serious file work on the VG, but once done it worked just fine.  The TD VG are a bitch to get on even on the DD rails and is one reason I no longer use them except on my 6.8 M4 and its days are not long on it either.  I agree with whoever said if you were doing a real honest to God serious use rifle something like a DD rail might serve you better and longer but I have no complaints about the YHM rails either.  I think that most who bash them have never tried them or are repeating internet gossip about YHM rails from days gone by.  Their current no-rotation rails are just fine.  There are a lot of people who bash anything that is not the current flavor of the month or their personal favorite so be careful giving negative reviews (or even positive reviews for that matter) too much credit.  You know we have a lot of people on here that if it is not Colt it is crap or unless LaRue made it, it is not worth having.
And no, none of the YHM rails I have seen have had the T numbers on them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I love all of YHM products. Extremely cost effective.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
but what the hell makes rails so damned expensive?

YHM for 30% of the cost of DD.  

Take a close look at the machining method for YHM
The "rails" are cut on a lathe (at least on my L/W FF), not a mill like every other company.
Following MIL-STD-1913 takes more time and more money to accomplish

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 2 friends in the local SD that love them.  If you are mounting only lights or vertical grips, they are great for the money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
WHY I HATE YHM RAILS

I was waitin' for this one...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a set of the railed handguards - the 2 piece ones. They were good for what I wanted at the time , I really only wanted a VFG and a light - free-floating wasn't important.  I sold them with an upper that I had to bring in a few extra bucks for the upper.

+1 on the Tango Down VFG being a PITA to install on them. Needed a mallet , otherwise no biggie.

I have one of the smooth ones now that you can put rails on. It's on an upper that I have no intention of using a VFG with - a bipod and a light on that one. I like that unit much better than the handguards.

If I had to do it over again and wanted to go with an easy install I'd get the Daniel Defense Omega. I put one on my 14.5 and am very happy with it. It's bomber rock solid , super easy install and free-floats with a narrow profile - feels better in hand to me.

YHM is a good company and makes good stuff , just the rails can be tough with TD grips. And they're made in MA - I try not to support MA or any company there to keep the state from gaining revenues from me.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I use only DD and YHM on the builds I do and I have done 12 or 13 of them, all for personal use.  The only negative thing I have found with the YHM is that once in a while the rail might not accept something on the tight side of mil-spec.  I've had one YHM forend rail where there was no way it would take a TD VG without some serious file work on the VG, but once done it worked just fine.  The TD VG are a bitch to get on even on the DD rails and is one reason I no longer use them except on my 6.8 M4 and its days are not long on it either.  I agree with whoever said if you were doing a real honest to God serious use rifle something like a DD rail might serve you better and longer but I have no complaints about the YHM rails either.  I think that most who bash them have never tried them or are repeating internet gossip about YHM rails from days gone by.  Their current no-rotation rails are just fine.  There are a lot of people who bash anything that is not the current flavor of the month or their personal favorite so be careful giving negative reviews (or even positive reviews for that matter) too much credit.  You know we have a lot of people on here that if it is not Colt it is crap or unless LaRue made it, it is not worth having.
And no, none of the YHM rails I have seen have had the T numbers on them.

I agree.  I have the earlier version of the mid length, lite weight, FF rail system.  I've been very happy with it, and it meets my needs.  I only attach a bi pod, or a light to it.  I does what I expect of it.  I agree there are better.  I just don't want to spend, or have the money for a Larue.  I wish I did, but I don't.

DBAR
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WHY I HATE YHM RAILS

I was waitin' for this one...

Yep, I knew it was coming
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#23]
mine work just fine
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Get these:

global-tactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=579

They are 623 times better and thinner as well.  Fit like a glove and no wobble.  I just replaced my YHM set with these.  I liked them so much, I ordered another.

Denny's and PK are both out of stock right now, but you can check the other vendors.  149 is the standard price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I only have one, and it's on my 3 gun carbine. The custom spectre. It has taken its fair share of abuse. Still has 3 different colors of paint on it from barricades. The only thing I might put on it is a bi-pod. Do I like my DD and Samsons, sure. But the YHM is fine for what I'm using it for. Not a big test of durability, Old non set screw model. I used locktite. I prefer the feel of the round hand guard. Look at V-TAC I do like there's too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I just picked one up a new one for my HD carbine. Locks up very solid. I can't see any weak points other than the large diameter.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I like them.  I've installed 3 or 4 of the lightweight free float, and 1 of the non free float.  I haven't had any problems w/ them.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not a big fan of the YHM free floats but I must say their other stuff is good. The 2 piece non free float hand guards are well made and have worked well for me on patrol rifles. I'm not up on their CS having never dealt with them. For free float I usually go VLTOR CAS-V, Daniel Defense, or (dare I say) ARMS SIR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:32:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got them on two Bushmasters. Had them maybe for 4,5 years -- gone through three gun classes shooting over 3k rds. with and w/o optics and have had zero problems.  I like them, no matter what they cost!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I really like the YHM Phantom Flash Suppressors and other items (like their new low-profile gas block which has been every bit as good as the various Badger, Troy, Vltor, etc. that I have) but I wouldn't buy their rail system for myself as I have worked with their rail systems before and I experienced a lot of the same things that New-ARGuy ran into.

Don't get me wrong, it's better than that UTG and other eBay/airsoft junk out there but I'd rather save up and buy something better because other rails (like the Daniel Defense rails) are just flat out better, period.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got a couple of YHM free floats and they do the job, but thats about it. My DD Lite is the favorite. My MI's are great but heavy. Folding sights I've used but it's the same thing. Works but nothing to brag about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top