Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2008 11:44:32 AM EDT
i don't quite understand this...

bull barrels seem like a waste of money and materials... some of the most accurate AR's i've seen or shot have been SPR/Medcon profiles...

same goes for length... i've read a lot of chrono numbers for plenty of different brands/weights of ammo... and it seems like after 20"... you are adding length and not getting much more return on velocity...

are these fudd carry-overs into the AR world?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Bull barrels are highly accurate (if well built).  Not a waste of money....  the way a bull barrel vibrates (or rather doesn't vibrate), allows for slightly better accuracy.  Those who shoot nats-ass will usually get slightly better results from a bull.  I use a 24" varmint/bull barrel to elicit sub 1/2 moa groups (1/4" on a good day) 10 shot groups at 100 yards.  I've never seen a lightweight contour do that... may just be me.  As far as velocity... I agree... the differences aren't exactly huge after 18" .  However, my 16" is noticeably different compared to my 24" at REALLY long range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top