Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2008 6:05:13 PM EDT
I am wanting to build a .204 upper for coyote hunting. I don't want a bull barrel just an H bar profile. What might my options for barrel suppliers be?
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Check around on JP's site. Someone posted a link to a 204 barrel there awhile back that was H BAR profile.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you give me some direction to this site.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If i was getting a .204 barrel I would try and get a 1 in 11 twist. The "factory standard " are 1 in 12 twist and some will and some won't stablize a 40 grain bullet. Question, are you going to buying a barrel and build an upper or buying a complete upper? If i was buying a barrel I would order from Shilen, Lothar Walther, Obermyer, Compass Lake, etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought I would try to build the upper myself. Do those companies make a barrel that is ready to install?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the barrel companies make AR barrels to what ever profiles and length you want. They will sell you a bolt and carrier, or let you send them your bolt and carrier to check head spacing. The barrel is made to Mil-Spec, so the head spacing shouldn't really be a problem IMHO. I would get  a 20 to 22 inches barrel if it was to be a carry rifle, because for me 24 inch and longer get front heavy. A barrel under 18 inches is really loud to me. Just my 2 cents. Here ( http://www.shilen.com/ar15Barrels.html )Shilen's web of AR Profiles and wieghts of barrel. I would look at several barrel makers website and see who tickled my fancy. Krieger, Hart, Satern, Pac-Nor, Obermeyer, Wilson and Compass Lake would all be very good barrel makers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my 204 upper a couple of days ago and I am going out to shoot it on sunday.  I ended up getting a complete upper from http://www.careycustomrifleco.com/index.html

He built me a 22" fluted medium contour barrel with a JP Rifles vented handguard.  I have done alot of research before I ended up going this route and from what I have seen Dan Carey uppers are shooting very good!  

Sabre Defence makes Barrels
Model 1 has barrels
JP Rifles sells a very nice barrel but it is very pricey.
Dtech does custom work as well

If I new how to post pics I would put them on here but I am lucky to get this post on here.

If you want to see the upper email me and I will send you a picture of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is JP Rifle web site: http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.1.php
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info. Send me some pictures of your .204. I'd love to see it

Scott
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Sent a couple of pics to you.  let me know if you get them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Received, Thanks for taking the time to send. I love looking at other folks pride a joy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top