Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2008 10:22:09 PM EDT
I understand they are different sizes, I've seen the measurments somewhere on here before.  But why would someone prefer one over the other?
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Mil-spec...... more stock body choices like VLTOR, LMT  etc.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
How can I tell which one I have? I bought my stock and tube with spring and buffer used on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I only use MAGPUL CTR stocks on carbines so to me it doesn't matter.  I have ARs with commercial and ARs with MILSPEC.  

As long as the stock your prefer fits, it makes no difference unless your are one of the many who get hung up on the word MILSPEC.

But, as already said, MILSPEC receiver extension do allow more stock choices due to some manufacturers not making commercial size stocks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Commercial will have the threads cut into the tube, so the threads will be even with the surface of the tube.  Mil-spec will have the threads raised slightly above the level of the rest of the buffer tube surface.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Commercial will have the threads cut into the tube, so the threads will be even with the surface of the tube.  Mil-spec will have the threads raised slightly above the level of the rest of the buffer tube surface.

Better way.

Look at the area where the bottom rail goes into the body of the tube.  If the edge is a sharp "cut", it's milspec.  If the joining point is rounded, it's commercial.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
or, you could just measure the diameter of the tube.  If it's 1.14" it's mil-spec and if it's 1.17" it's commercial - at least according to the instructions that came with my CTR stocks.

I don't change stocks out much, if at all, so it's a non-issue for me.  The last few DPMS commercial buffer tubes I've bought were $12 each, so again, a non-issue for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better way.

Look at the area where the bottom rail goes into the body of the tube.  If the edge is a sharp "cut", it's milspec.  If the joining point is rounded, it's commercial.

I disagree that it's better.  The critical difference is the diameter of the tube and the size of the tube relative to the threads is an easy indicator,  Differences in the shape of the bottom rail may be generally accurate for current stocks but may be wrong for older versions and/or may be inaccurate for newly introduced items.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#8]
So you can fit either mil-spec or comm. on any lower?
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So you can fit either mil-spec or comm. on any lower?

Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top