Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2008 5:21:29 PM EDT
I have a bushmaster flattop carbine with the "dissipater" 12"+- plastic handguards. When I was super-nooby I bought this as my first and only SHTF/HD AR and thought the longer handguards looked cool...heavy
Being this is a more unusual barrel/handguard system, what are my options?

My noob thoughts are; to knock out both of these issues at the same time my best/most cost effective action is to install sometype of FF or non-FF rail that covers right up to or just over the gas block. I really want something that is:

A)Shorter than my current 12" handguards
B)Rock solid and lightweight with rails (ff or non-ff as long as it's solid)
C)Will allow my eotech 512 to be moved forward several inches

I would love for it to be something I could do myself and not cost a fortune. I've looked into the Omega rails and it seems they all have to go right up to the handguard cap and are a little pricey. I wouldn't mind getting a midrange priced FF tube/rail and paying $60 or so to have it put on somewhere if that's even possible...I'd like to spend less than $200 even though I know BRD has a $300 minimum on ANYTHING....

Pics of my current set-up:
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj173/talkischeap45/ARwHandgd.jpg
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj173/talkischeap45/HandgrdDisassemled.jpg
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Midwest Industries free-float for a simple do it yourself upgrade.  Simple to install and I have always found them to be rock solid.  I get mine from Bravo Company.

Voodoo
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy?

Edit to add:

Looks like Voodoo13 might have the winner for you price wise.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Daniel Defense recently dropped the prices on their Lite rail systems.  Even before they became more affordable, they were my 1st choice in rail systems because of their light weight, ease of installation, tight lock up, continuous, uninterrupted top rail feature, and unique design.  Since you already have a lp gas block on what appears to be a carbine gas system, I'd recommend a DD 9.0 lite.  If you like the FSP, swap it out for the lp gas block and go with a DD 7.0 lite

People complain that they have to buy DD's wrench to properly install the unit, but if you have a simple castle nut wrench that you'd use to remove/install your buffer tube for your stock, youre fine.  With that simple tool, it honestly takes about 5 minutes to DIY.  Take that $60 you're willing to spend to have it put on and get something top notch like the rest of your add on's on your rifle thus far.

A)Shorter than my current 12" handguards. Yep!
B)Rock solid and lightweight with rails. Absolutely
C)Will allow my eotech 512 to be moved forward several inches. As far as you'd like

Hope that somewhat bit of biased info helped . Good luck with your search.

Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as it being front heavy, the problem is the barrel profile and the extra gas block

Changing to a shorter handguard will not address the front heavy issue, as most rails will weigh nearly as much or more than the standard 12" handguard

I agree that the Daniel Defense Lite rails are the lightest , and that is my preferred rail.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy make an awsom product at a good price. bravo company has some nice Troy stuff for a good price.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
These are great suggestions thank you all so much. Do these fit over the gas block or right up to it? Is it better one way or the other?

I would prefer it to be shorter/lighter/cheaper so I guess right up to the block would be good. I am guessing "low-profile" fitting rails would fit over mine if I go the other route correct? The TROY look really nice and arent too far over my budget...I suppose I could rationalize myself into spending another $30 or so like I did everything else... Looks like all the best stuff is out of stock. From what I gather this one would be perfect for my situation:
here

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
The dissy gas block is designed to work will all of these: MI, Troy, DD.

Self-install should be a non-issue, and the dissy setup isn't much different from what the over-the-block forearms are made for anyway.

MI is going to be the best price, (other than YHM), and their 12" FF 2-Peice rail is probably the best bargain out there for a dissipator type carbine, although the non-FF rails will have a slightly better overall price point and still get the job done.
TROY have slighly different looks, and are slighly more, but again, fantastic quality.
Since they have the sem-uninterruped front (still mount the HWS on the upper only, but it's okay to extend the battery housing over the rails) you'll be super-happy with them.

DD is going to be the outright nicest for the weight (why the cost the most).

If you're looking at just omitting the front sight altogether (and getting a matching front flip-up), I'd seriously look into the MI 10", or the TROY MRF-RX if you want maximum rail coveragle (very unique look on the TROY with the RX, especially on a 16")

As for the light- I'm partial to the vertical grip with the DD offset light mount, although using the Viking one is a tad cheaper and should get the job done great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#8]
tehlamma42,

Thanks for your input, that was my main concern-if most or all of these dyi ff rails will fit over the dissy gas block. After considering all this I am really leaning towards the midlength 9" Troy and adding a front flip-up sight to the rail. Which leaves me with my standard front sight stuck there. Are they easy to get off? Obviosly it has to slip past the birdcage so I'm thinking I'll need a gunsmith for this considering I don't have the tools nor do I want them at this time. Also, after removing the standard front sight do I just repaint the barrel there or is it another $300 modification hinking.gif
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:00:20 AM EDT
[#9]
What you want to accomplish with what you have is not going to be "cost effective" nor is it going to turn out too well (but then again, that's relative). Honestly, I think you'd be better off selling that upper (put it back to "stock") and buying a different one before you end up investing more money into a upper that's still going to be heavy (and ugly too...junkmaster doesn't park under the FSB, right? Dunno, maybe you'll like the "race stripes" )...search the EE for good deals on used carbine uppers (trying finding a Colt, LMT, etc. if you can).

Look for a upper that has a GOVERNMENT profile barrel (meaning the barrel is thin under the handguard). You'd be amazed by the weight difference. And from the sound of it, you might want to let someone who knows what they're doing (with the proper tools) install whatever rail system you decide on (on the new upper )
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I am not sure how easy to install they are because I have never done it, but LaRue Tactical handguards are what I use and their customer service is top notch.  Their product is great too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
To answer one of your questions, a 7" rail will end up right at the back of a carbine gas block. A 9" rail system with cover the carbine gas block.

My preference with your setup is the 9"; I just do not like the look of a lo-pro gas block sticking out in front of a FF rail .

DD is my pick.  The lite rail is great!  The Omega should be good as well, when ever they get it on the market...

I think if you have a 16" barrel, you shoul dbe able to remove the bird cage yourself...

There is the question as to what the barrel will look like under the FSB though...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#12]
ht.....and....GS300 here (Unless of course your ID is a new carbine a noob ain't hip too)

I am going to peruse the EE and see what that road would cost....Or better yet, I'll give anyone $1000 for a cure to this Godforsaken disease
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Or better yet, I'll give anyone $1000 for a cure to this Godforsaken disease

Hehehe...you think $1000 will cure this disease!? Don't be silly...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like Midwest Industries free-float for a simple do it yourself upgrade.  Simple to install and I have always found them to be rock solid.  I get mine from Bravo Company.

Voodoo

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top