Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2008 10:53:04 AM EDT
I posted this in the general discussion but didn't find out much.

Does anyone know anything about PRI's handguards? They look awesome, but I know looks aren't everything. I've heard things about them being very heavy (?) and retaining too much heat.

Also, does anyone have pics?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i have one on my SPR and love it.....

but when i had it on a 16" for 3gun i did find that it got uncomfortably hot pretty quick.  i shoot with gloves, but couldn't have handled it without after a fast 2-3 mags....

still a great handguard if you need rails but don't want them where you don't need them....

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#3]
i understand the need for rails, but why the draw to the "free float" design?  I read somewhere that it was for barrel stability/accuracy for long range shooting, but cant understand how its better....do the free float handguards not connect to the rifle in 2 different places like regular handguards do?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
No, they just contact the barrel at the barrel nut leaving the entire length of the barrel free.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
ok i see...  but how is this better?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ok i see...  but how is this better?

Barrels "ring" like tuning forks when fired.  You can't hear it, but it happens.  If anything is touching the barrel then it will interfere with the harmonics.  If your grip changes a little from shot to shot then it will interfere with it differently and reduce accuracy.  Hang different accesories on the rails and it will interfere with it differently.  but if you use a free-floating design then all of that becomes a non-issue.  The handguards are not touching the barrel so there is no outside interference.

Having said all that, most people don't need a free-floating handguard.  If you're not using match ammo and shooting from a good rest then you probably won't notice the difference.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I am using the PRI handguards for the past 2 years in 3Gun competitons and it has held well, w/o anything loosing up and the heat issue is not that bad. compared to an all aluminun handguard, this is cooler. now, as far as weight is compared, i do not know of anything lighther, maybe no hand guard at all
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
The one I just got from Adco has an aluminum barrel nut and it is the version with the rails.  I really like the handguard, but it is on my SPRish clone, so I can't comment on the heat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Wes can a guy buy the handguards from you guys and send you a barrel and receiver and you guys asseble it? Thanks John
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:34:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top